Plasterboard - fill and paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to rip the plaster off the living room after Xmas and put all new plasterboard and a new ceiling in. I thought i would use plasterboard with gypsum and then tape the joints up and get a plasterer in but have been told by a family friend who works on a building site that in new builds, they just fill the gaps in, sand it down and then paint straight on to the plasterboard.

Is that true? If so what would be an easy way to fill the gaps in so you couldn't see the joins?

If possible, that would save me a fortune in plastering.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Use "Easifill" and fill your joints with it then sand it down. It does what it said on the bag ;)

Yes it's true. If you use taper edge boards you can 'fill' to flush (or sand to flush anyway). Use the sticky mesh style tape, just stick it over the joins and fill away.

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't like Easyfill. It's way too soft and powdery and way too expensive. I get best results from using Wickes plasterboard adhesive. Used it for decades. Use a decent 11 inch trowel to apply it and there's barely any sanding to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back