Plasterboard nail or screw it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok have just had an argument with my old man

He insists it,s better to nail and i prefer to screw ( still talking about plasterboard by the way :D )

just wondered what your views where on this

Marty

Sponsored Links
I prefer plaster board screw's with a cordless drill/driver as the better option now a days.

Hammer and nails work well, however plaster board damage from a hammer misfire can become a problem, as well as vibration from the multiple hammer strokes.

Hi gatesmrs2

I would say for quickness nails, but screws if there's no rush :LOL: only because there's less chance of the plaster coming away from the screw head due to the cross head which the plaster can grip to, compared to flat head of the clout nail. ;)

So to answer your :?: I think screws.

where there is a lot of bounce in the timber to which the board is being fixed, then screws are invaluable.

their slow application of pressure makes them ideal if the joist bottoms are up and down slightly.

but nails still have a place on my van.

the only real problem with screws is if you want to take a ceiling down and the heads are full of plaster. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
where there is a lot of bounce in the timber to which the board is being fixed, then screws are invaluable.

their slow application of pressure makes them ideal if the joist bottoms are up and down slightly.

but nails still have a place on my van.

the only real problem with screws is if you want to take a ceiling down and the heads are full of plaster. :rolleyes:

In my van I've got a box of 40 mm clouts aswell :LOL: ( but no screws ) :LOL:
Like you said, when your hammering a nail into lets say a 3x2 stud wall the stud bounce's like hell :mad: :LOL:

screws without a doubt (unless your going for a world nailing record)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back