Plasterboard onto plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a novice diy-er so please excuse my ignorance!

Can you fix plasterboard directly onto existing plasterboard (existing board is skimmed and painted)?

My situation is; I have a new staircase going into the loft which sits flush against existing wall. I want to build out the existing wall so that the appearance of the transition from wall to staircase is the same as the original staircase below. So I need to build out existing wall about 15-20mm including finishing skim.

And if I can just use a grab adhesive, would Pinkgrip be ok? Got loads of that stuff!

Thanks in advance for help/advice!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Look thru the posts on "Dot and Dabbing" that is the way forward for getting your walls how you want them,,,

Your old stairs have beading, your new does not.

If you got some wide beading, would this not achieve the same thing?

Yes the old ones have a quadrant beading and I want the exact same effect on the new stairs, The beading will be the last thing to go on after the skim (I assume?)

Dots and dabs, would that not be too thick? What size pboard should I use?

Sponsored Links
Waste of time if you ask me
in what sense?
Like Joe says your focusing to much on what is negligible once your new stairs are beaded and painted it will look OK no one is going to be walking past saying this has got to be the same thickness as that thickness ect in my view it will look OK and putting board up on board to make up the difference is overkill would you mind putting pics up of the rest of the walls ? Just so we can see how much board we are talking about ,both of wall with new proposed boards and the wall where the new boards will meet

Waste of time if you ask me
in what sense?
no one is going to be walking past saying this has got to be the same thickness as that thickness
Only the wife everyday! The thing is it's a new house so everything else is perfect so this needs to be too.

Here's a photo looking down the me flight of stairs and the existing wall, so it's only overboard img the length of the stairs plus a little extra at the bottom. (the landing ceiling is also getting re boarded)
Where the existing wall stops at the top and meets the new stud work, the stud work will be battened out to the right depth
image.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back