Plasterboard over powdery plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've been stripping the floor to ceiling tiles off my utility room and have encountered one wall where the underlying plaster is mega powdery (see video link below if it works)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/foKExvjq2Zf5fNqW7

My plan was to dot and dab over that wall but with how bad that plaster is i'm guessing nothing would stick to it. Can anyone advise how i'd get around the problem?

I understand that mechanical fixings aren't recommended for plasterboard and with the wall underneath not being very flat, it'd also show the lumps and bumps. Do I need to wire brush or grind off the rest of the plaster back to prick and then stick the dabs to that?

Sponsored Links
is the utility room a room in your main house or in some kind of shed?
given its a utility room then why not hack off all wall covering's back to exposed brickwork?

to answer your question:hack off and scrape all plaster on that wall back to brickwork.
before applying D&D adhesive take up any suction with a water brush.

is the utility room a room in your main house or in some kind of shed?
given its a utility room then why not hack off all wall covering's back to exposed brickwork?

to answer your question:hack off and scrape all plaster on that wall back to brickwork.
before applying D&D adhesive take up any suction with a water brush.

Thanks for the response bobasd. Yes the utility room is just off the kitchen within the main house. I have hacked off most of the plaster with an sds drill on chisel setting but it very time consuming and dirty work. I've just attached a photo of the whole wall. You can just about see the outline or corners of the blocks behind the plaster in places.

Attachments

• IMG_20200106_203052.jpg
    IMG_20200106_203052.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 137

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back