1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Plasterboard problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tazzy42, 28 Mar 2020.

1. Tazzy42

Tazzy42

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I am trying to work out how to plasterboard around a difficult opening. Any advice appreciated.

2. plastic_peanut

plastic_peanut

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you looking to cover the opening all together or plasterboard the rafters so it will be more detailed?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tazzy42, good evening.

[[Observation]] --- Some of the cuts in the timber are not in "full contact" with one another.

[[Observation]] --- The two diagonal large beams appear somewhat out of place?? and "appear" to have been over sized relative to the upper horizontal cross member?? I wonder if the above was a CAD error or? was this an Engineering requirement??

[[Observation]]-- The frame shown ? is it a fan light? or window with trickle vent? or a door??

Is it possible to cut the Two Diagonal large beams [ as 2./ above] some sort of raking cut to reduce the thickness of these beams, which are bearing on fresh air anyway ?

As for the present plasterboard being taken right up to the edge of the timber, fixing a 50.mm2 packer to these beams will provide a support for the missing area of plasterboard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It looks like it was built with whatever timber was on site.

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. fillyboy

fillyboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looking at the picture there's a door and obviously the cut out is to accommodate that. Looking at how I would approach it, I reckon it would take me three or four attempts resulting in a shedload of scrap plasterboard. But, that timber work is a very complicated solution to a very simple problem.

Use a multi too to shave off the bottoms of where the joists meet the beams, pieces of 2 x 1 around the opening above the height of the door and put a piece of plasterboard straight across, do away with all the shaping.