plasterboard thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house was refurbished about 35 yrs ago, i have since taken down some ot the plasterboard on my landing to do some electrics. thinking i could just replace the plasterboard, but it is about 5mm thick, and the thinnest i could replace it with is 9.5mm. any ideas.?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would be plasterboard at that thickness you sure its not hard board or something similar!!!!

no roy, its definitely plasterboard, think they would have called it 1/4 inch. would say between 5 and 6mm...... its a bit of a pain cos i dont mind completely changing the plasterboard on the landing, but on the other side of the wall, i have a 5 metre by 4 metre wall, which considering the hole, does seem a bit like sledgehammer and egg. I was wondering if a plasterer could use expanded metal, and plaster... but dont know enough about it.

no roy, its definitely plasterboard, think they would have called it 1/4 inch. would say between 5 and 6mm...... its a bit of a pain cos i dont mind completely changing the plasterboard on the landing, but on the other side of the wall, i have a 5 metre by 4 metre wall, which considering the hole, does seem a bit like sledgehammer and egg. I was wondering if a plasterer could use expanded metal, and plaster... but dont know enough about it.
How big is the hole after you have squared it off? Can you get a pic up?

Sponsored Links
okay, got a plasterer round, he said we could use expanded metal but it would need 3 coats, so we are stripping the wall of woodchip paper, putting the plasterboard up, then he is going to plaster the new stuff and plaster over the original plastering... jobs a goodun..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back