Did i pick the wrong plaster board guys ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys,

Currently having a nightmare, my ceiling plasterboard has been removed by my plasterer because of cracks and leak.

I have him booked in for Friday (Tomorrow) 22nd September 2017 to put up the new plasterboard and skim etc....

Sadly, my plaster does not have a van to pick up the large sheets of plasterboard, therefore, I had to use a mutual friend of a friend who has a van to pick up some plaster boards which I got today.

The problem that I face is that I purchased 5 sheets of this plasterboard from Wickes and after inspection to my home I noticed that they are all crumbly and fairly weak like the edges are broke and just does not seem ideal for something to go on my ceiling.

I know nothing about plaster but to the eye I reluctant to use this plasterboard on my ceiling for the reasons mentioned above.

When my old plasterboard (of 35 years since I moved in) was removed yesterday it was very hard and stronger than the one I purchased from wickes today.

Wickes plasterboard just seems cheap and tacky, nothing sturdy. This is the board i purchased today from wickes.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Plasterboard-Tapered-Edge-2400-x-1200-x-9-5mm/p/220207

it is 9.5mm thickness as my old ceiling plasterboard is the same but was much stronger, clearly a different material or method back in the old days.

Guys what should I do ? on experience where is the best place in your opinions to purchase a strong plasterboard from ?, I was thinking Travis Perkins though I have not gone there yet. I am based in Hertfordshire. Any advice is handy, please. I have attached pictures below of the current board i have now and the damage.

Thanks in advance.

vSOYyV7.jpg

9rdxONm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly it looks as though the board has been bashed around - badly
Secondly 12.5mm board is what you want.

Just let your plasterer advise you when he gets there. If he's not happy and doesn’t have transport, he'll either have to arrange delivery of the materials himself or specify exactly what you need and where to get it (which he should have done in the first place) and come back another day.

The bad edges can be cut off..not ideal but as you have no transport.

How did he get on today?

Sponsored Links
I use Knauf 12.5mm square edge and get it delivered from a builders merchant. If damaged i refuse them but had hardly none damaged as they take more care than Wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back