Plasterboarded over Old Artex, but is Wonky. Advice Needed

I was erring on the side of caution yesterday but having another look at your pics. this morning, I’ve got to say it looks appalling. It should not have cracked already either & there should be no give in it; you won’t be able to fill the crack, it’ll only reappear without more radical reinforcing.

I’d be inclined to take it all down & start again but this time level it properly, reboard & reskim.

Sponsored Links
It seems the wall is completely uneven (which it is), so at the worst point is where the wall moves away by about an inch.

Spoke to them today and they showed me how the wall bows out. They said problem was with the joists and the wall, and the fact it wasn't finished. Have assured me it will look lot better. In any case I'm not going to give them £720 for it.

It seems the wall is completely uneven (which it is), so at the worst point is where the wall moves away by about an inch.

Spoke to them today and they showed me how the wall bows out. They said problem was with the joists and the wall, and the fact it wasn't finished. Have assured me it will look lot better. In any case I'm not going to give them £720 for it.
timbo i take it by that remark you haven't paid them yet? if thats the case good, tell them their not getting a penny until its sorted, tell the builder you want the plaster rectifying and hes not to use those plasterers, we see cases on here where the op has already parted with his money with plastering as bad as yours, and what we normally say is why did you pay him? don't let him try and haggle you for a lower price either, your going to need your money to rectify their shoddy work

the only way i can think of is to ping a datum line around the ceiling to get a level line to work to then do a tight float coat with bonding

What does a tight float with bonding entail Steve?

Oh, how I wish you were local.

Tim

Sponsored Links
the only way i can think of is to ping a datum line around the ceiling to get a level line to work to then do a tight float coat with bonding

What does a tight float with bonding entail Steve?

Oh, how I wish you were local.

Tim
it would mean setting up a a straight and level line around the perimiter of your ceiling, from there you can see how far out your ceiling is, and use a straight edge to rule the bonding off creating a flat ceiling, but im not so sure now you have mentioned the cracks, any chance of a pic?

Steve, not atm. It was along where the wall met the ceiling edge, in the corner in the area in my previous picture.

Since that section is something like 1/4" lower (probably less, but looks that amount) is there bonding that would cover the ceiling like that?, so you would be filling 1/4" depth or so on rest of ceiling? Is that what would happen?

Since that section is something like 1/4" lower (probably less, but looks that amount) is there bonding that would cover the ceiling like that?, so you would be filling 1/4" depth or so on rest of ceiling? Is that what would happen?
Not the way to go IMO, especially if it’s all moving around; but go with the other guys if that’s easier for you. ;)

It looks to me like the wall is not straight either , going by the ceiling line.

I don't believe in checking all over someone's work with a straight edge - UNLESS it looks as bad as this (or has worktop etc to fit to).

Then you get your edge and see exactly how bad it is, ceiling and wall, and are quite entitled to do so.

I would not accept what I see in the picture, and that is without looking at the other angles in the room , skirting line, reveals and general finish.

If it is sound underneath (IF!) you should be able to get it sorted with bonding (and PVA /Bondit/WBA) Make sure the door frame you are putting in is the right thickness. Is there any reason for plastering before the new frame is in?

You are in a good position, having not paid them yet.

Steve, not atm. It was along where the wall met the ceiling edge, in the corner in the area in my previous picture.

yes thats what would happen timbo it wouldn't be such a big deal to sort it out with bonding, but i said this before you mentioned the cracks and apparently its moving, maybe reenforcing the ceiling by adding some screws here and there might stabilize it but other than that best option would be to start from scratch. My advice is to not pay them until you are happy with the work, are you happy with the rest of the building work they done? if so pay them for that and withhold the plastering money until its sorted, thats what happens out onsite if they pick up on something you wont get paid till you go back and sort it, and if they get someone else in to sort it then they pay them out of your wages.
Its going to take a bit of courage to say that your witholding the money untill you are happy with the work but you have got to do it otherwise you might as well throw the money down the drain
ps where that hole is on the right handside can you see any scrimtape? if not then thats most probably why you are getting cracks there, as there should be scrimtape applied between the wall and the ceiling angle

We've said it before on here, and we're saying it again, any plasterer worth his salt could see that the standard of workmanship exhibited here is appaling, yet for your plasterer, this was a finished job.
For a so called "plasterer" to leave a job in that state, and expect to get paid for it,, well,, he has no shame. If he gets away with a mess like that, he'll never learn. All the time you have the cash in your pocket, you have the upper hand. Get an independent "on the site" opinion, and confront the builder with it,,, he should know just by looking, that it's not up to standard anyway,,, he wouldn't have a mess like that in his house i bet.

Good advice from all directions here.

This work is not acceptable and if they knew the finished result was going to be unacceptable before they started they should have told you about it BEFORE they did it, and offered you the option of having everything straightened out, for the money you paid I would have thought it would be enough to have done it properly (straight and true) in the first place.

You are going to need to confront someone, the thing is I dont think anyone would accept that work and I am pretty sure the builder wouldn't be happy if his house was in that state after paying a top dollar price!

Please keep us posted on how this pans out.

The best first year p;asterers at our place could would do a better job.

Does the customer have any legal redress with regard to inspections?

Not sure that poor skim finish contravenes any building regulation

Not sure that poor skim finish contravenes any building regulation

Maybe not JML, but the cowboy/s responsible, should be prosecuted and strung up for impersonating a plasterer. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back