Plasterboarding Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am a DIY Novice my husband has only a little bit more knowledge than me and I was hoping that you guys would please be able to give me some advice.

We have stripped back our dining room to bare brick including taking the ceiling down and I understand from the forum posts that we need to PVA the wall before we dot and dab the plasterboard onto the wall with dry wall adhesive sounds simple enough. :)

My problem or should i say lack of knowledge arises here...

We have a large window that we need to go around - we plan to only tape and fill the gaps and therefore paint straight onto the plasterboard with no plastercoat therefore the metal beading thing I wouldn't be able to use around the window and the external corners on our chimney breast - any ideas what we would need to do here please. Also what is the best way to do around the window.

Also the chimney breast doesnt have a fire and have no plans to put one here. The other question I have if the plasterboard isnt skimmed over will the heat from the radiator destroy it in time?

Ideally I would've liked to pay someone to do it for me however we are in tough economic times and would really like to have my family round for christmas dinner so this is our only option.

Any help and advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need paper tape with metal strips in it for the corners, the plasterboards will be fine with the rad against it. make sure you have no damp as it will come through the dabs. I did a post on explaining tape and jointing somewhere, I will see if I can dig it out for you

You need paper tape with metal strips in it for the corners, the plasterboards will be fine with the rad against it. make sure you have no damp as it will come through the dabs. I did a post on explaining tape and jointing somewhere, I will see if I can dig it out for you

Thank you for your advice - much appreciated will read the topic now.

Sponsored Links
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...ard+Corner+Tape+30m+x+50mm/d180/sd2420/p10867

Use this for the external corners

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+Sealants/Tapes/Joint+Tape+48+mm+x+90+m/d180/sd2420/p61291

Use this for the joins where tapers meet

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...per+Joint+Tape+50mm+x+150m/d180/sd2420/p51272

Use this for where the square edge of boards meet, also for internal corners.

All materials are available from other places too, you will also need easy fill or jointing compounds, wickes own brand powdered is good for bedding in the tapes and first filling out as it sets in about an hour.

i belive in a previous post it has come up and it was said if the bricks or what ever you are boarding onto are particulary dusty just a quick coat of pva will help the adhesive stick as opposed to the dabs being onto a very dusty surface and a layer of crap being between the dabs and walls.
sometimes if as afore mentiond the wall is very dusty i give the wall a little bit of pva just to help it stick but not its not mandatory to pva before you dab

i do pva my walls too if there dsty but i do put a blob in the mix too
i find it helps

Thank you guys for your help - its really appreciated.

No doubt I will get stuck and need to ask more questions.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back