plasterboarding - job length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well where to start, i am doing out the upstairs of our 3 bed house and as a keen diyer i am going to try and do as much of the work as i can.

My problem is untll the upstairs is boarded out the family is going to have to move out, and i only have limited time off work.

I know it is very subjective and obviously i wouldnt be able to do the job as quick as you guys would, but would you guys be able to give me a rough estimate of how long it would take to do?

Im doing out 3 rooms (bathroom is for a later date), all of which are square except for one wall with a chimney breast. In each room i plan to remove all of the old failing plaster on all walls back to the bricks and then dot and dab them.

The room dimensions are as follows:

1. 4.3m x 3m
2. 3m x 3m
3. 5.6 m x 4m

I know its impossible to be exact in any way, but can you give me any ideas how long you think it should take? I would class myself as competent, and will be putting a full days work as it were.

Or out of a matter of interest how long do you think it should take if i get someone in? As due to time constraints i might have to go down that route

Sponsored Links
Can't really advise how long the job would take - as not a pro doing it day-in day-out.
However, would like to offer a couple of things to consider -
Having stripped the odd wall or two down, don't underestimate the amount of rubble you will get! You will prob need a skip or two during it.
I've struggled with a hammer and bolster chisel for a small amount. For a large amount, I hope you have a decent drill e.g. SDS with hammer action chisel.
I'd imagine you want the family out for the messiest part in stripping off the plaster, so strip all the rooms first and get the rubble away.
If you ran short of time or wanted them back in earlier, doing the D&D prob won't be that messy. Cutting plaster board is not that bad and can always mix the drywall adhesive outside or in the garage instead.

Cheers for the tips buddy.

I have already thought about the skip situation knowing from past diy jobs how much rubble you get from seemingly nowhere. I must admit though i had only thought about one skip but your probably right about needing two, hopefully someone will be able to offer advice about that.

Thank god that i do have a SDS drill with chisel setting, although i would need to purchase the right drill bit, again any advice on that would be great. I dont know if its a good idea or not but someone in the pub who granted is only a diyer like me mentioned you can get quite a lot of plaster off with the back side of a shovel but i am not convinced so i will will wait to see what people think about that idea though.

Yeah i want the family out for the messiest part especially due to the dust thrown up which i really dont want them living around.

Hopefully the guys who do this sort of thing day in and day out will be about soon and give some opinions on the time it should take for both me or a pro.

What about all the electrics?

Are you going to need to insulate?

Are you going to skim coat?

Sponsored Links
i would say it will take you around 2 days to knock it off and clear it all out. If its old black lime it should fall off.

IF you are sticking the boards on, cut a load of them first, and get them to fit before you knock up, as if you dont cut it right and are messing around for ages....itll go off.

Your looking at 5 - 7 days from start to finish---before having it plastered.

I would skim 3 rooms in 3 days, so maybe add it on? so ten days ish? for the whole lot, but again if you get it all knocked off and cleaned out in 1 day, then you have a head start...

What about all the electrics?

Are you going to need to insulate?

Are you going to skim coat?

All the electrics will be run by the electrician behind the plaster boards, and then signed off once he has done the 2nd fix and tested it all.

There is no issues with damp or noise, so i assume i dont need insulation?

Yeh it will be skimmed, although i have never done any plastering and so assumed it would be to much of an ask for me, so im getting someone in for that.

i would say it will take you around 2 days to knock it off and clear it all out. If its old black lime it should fall off.

IF you are sticking the boards on, cut a load of them first, and get them to fit before you knock up, as if you dont cut it right and are messing around for ages....itll go off.

Your looking at 5 - 7 days from start to finish---before having it plastered.

I would skim 3 rooms in 3 days, so maybe add it on? so ten days ish? for the whole lot, but again if you get it all knocked off and cleaned out in 1 day, then you have a head start...

Thanks for your reply mate, 5 - 7 days should work out well. I have a couple more questions if you dont mind.

I know this one will probally sound like a stupid question, but should i remove the carpets? and trim and refit them once everything has been skimmed?

There is a grill vent in the main bedroom, it isnt functional and is all sealed up with god knows how many coats of paint.. but what is the best plan of attack here?

Should i remove grill and brick it up? Replace it with a vent brick or something similar? Or as it isnt functional just leave it alone and board over it?

Again, all advice is welcome.

Building Regulations:

"where 25% or more of an external wall is re-rendered, re-clad, or is re-plastered, re-lined internally regulations apply...."

If your outside walls are not up to spec' thermally speaking then you would be a fool not to bring them up to spec whilst you have the chance.

if you can, i would rip the whole lot out, trim carpets, grippers,spiders etc. And if it possoble, baton the external walls and insulate them. Youll lose a few inches in the room but at least its insulated.

So just take everything back to brick, rip it ALL out and start again.

Building Regulations:

"where 25% or more of an external wall is re-rendered, re-clad, or is re-plastered, re-lined internally regulations apply...."

If your outside walls are not up to spec' thermally speaking then you would be a fool not to bring them up to spec whilst you have the chance.

How would i go about determining if the external wall is up to spec?

if you can, i would rip the whole lot out, trim carpets, grippers,spiders etc. And if it possoble, baton the external walls and insulate them. Youll lose a few inches in the room but at least its insulated.

So just take everything back to brick, rip it ALL out and start again.

Thanks again mate, i will do as you say and rip it all out, batten out external wall, and refit carpets afterwards. Any suggestions on what insulation would be best? Having a look around it seems kingspan is the way to go, but im not exactly sure what i am looking at.

Also, any suggestions about what to do with the vent grill i mentioned?

Thanks

What are the walls? Cavity or solid?

If solid - 50mm Celotex on the walls then fix with battens like bradleigh1977 suggested.

Cheers mate :)

The walls are solid, so 50mm celotex it is.

Should i use 4x2 timber as the battens?

Also anyone got any thoughts on the vent/grill situation?

Thanks

you dont need 4x2 batons, its not structual.
What you need is 2" deep, to take the celotex, and not very wide, say 2"

Thats cheaper than 4x2. Shop around, wickes, b & q etc.

And remember celotex/kingspan aint cheap, so shop around for that as well.

As soon as you get the insulation in, you will notice a difference on the room. The note will change as you talk or make a noise, and it will feel warm.

Sit down on a bit of cellotex for 2 minutes, see how your bum warms up...

As for the grill, just block it and leave it behind the plasterboard.

In my opinion insulation is critical these days with gas bills going ever up.

You can get insulated board too as an alternative.

I'm doing something similar now and I increased the battens to 45mm so I could fit 47mm back boxes in without it hitting the celotex.

Thanks again guys :)

As far as the battens go, i have got quite a few lengths of both 4x2" and 2x2" already. They were for another diy job i planned that never happened, they are PAR pine, will they do the trick?

I must say im getting a little confused on the dimension side of things i.e on the 2" face the dimension is about 48mm but the insulation is 50mm, but it should all still fit? :oops:

Sorry to be stupid but when you say block up the grill, do you mean remove and brick up? or just board striaght over?
:oops:

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back