Plasterboarding onto tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi If any can help,
Is it possible to dot and dab plasterboard directly onto ceramic tiles before skimming, if I can do so it will save a lot of work removing the tiles which are really well fixed (like s**t to a blanket.)
It is a utility room so no shower or bath to worry about.

Sponsored Links
probably, why not try it - i.e. do a trial run.

if it takes a mammoth effort to remove say a 1 sq foot piece from the tiles then go for it!

Why dot and dab plasterboard over them,Pva coat tiles, Hardwall plaster undercoat to fill grout lines, Pva Hardwall and whist still tacky skim the lot, works every time

Sponsored Links
Hi If any can help,
Is it possible to dot and dab plasterboard directly onto ceramic tiles before skimming, if I can do so it will save a lot of work removing the tiles which are really well fixed (like s**t to a blanket.)
It is a utility room so no shower or bath to worry about.

Yes it IS possible. For the best results I do it as follows.

Apply virtually neat PVA to the tiles and wait an hour or so until it becomes ' tacky' ... then dot n dab using Drywall Adhesive. Make the adhesive slightly thicker and drier than usual to prevent it from sliding down the wall ... or dot the Drywall onto the board instead - the press it onto the tiled wall surface.

Apply virtually neat PVA to the tiles and wait an hour or so until it becomes ' tacky'

I would not use pva. It will form a skin and ultimately a barrier.

I have spread dry wall adhesive directly onto tiles in the past and it is a pig to get off. Says it all. I would hazard a guess that it would come off clean if you used neat pva first. Hence my advice to experiment first.

Pva is basically wood glue. It is also very good at controlling suction and forming a bond between water based materials or products. I would be nervous about using it on ceramic tiles though.

Why dont you dot and dab the boards on with tile adhesive,,Easy eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back