plasterboarding problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i couldnt really see this topic fitting in any other forum so i put it here. i hope someone can help me.

i am plasterboarding my kitchen ceiling ready for a friend to plaster. the problem i have is that where they plasterboards meet, the plasterboards are not level.(i have only put two pieces up so far due to this)

the platerboards are flush against each other and are nailed right up to the joists but where they meet, one is higher than the other. the difference is about the thickness of the board. (9mm)

is this normal?? can it be covered by plastering???

is there a simple solution to resolving this???

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Sponsored Links
No.....No........Not simple........but you could try levelling the ceiling by crossing the joists with strips of wood,with packing under to get a truer surface to board onto.....and screws not nails ;)

i have seen certain scenarios where say the builder has fixed a trimmer joist across a ceiling, (with joists running one way, and the trimmed section running tuther) fixed joist hangers to it, fixed the joists and levelled the tops so his floor boards are nice and level, and has found the underside a bit lower.
if someone was to fix say a tapered edge board across the one set of joists and happen to meet up with a full thickness board, right along the height difference, then hey presto, 9mm difference.
the answer would be to make sure the boards span the problem area and not join on it.

Sponsored Links
If you double board with another 3/8 thick board, then it will be .525 mm thicker than the other board (if it is 9mm difference) easy to skim out then

Ps, Did you take the old ceiling down? If you did and it was a lath and plaster ceiling, its all to easy to leave a rogue piece of lath on the joist, therefore not letting your board nail flush

appreciate the feedback guys.

i think im gona try the spanning the problem area rather thatn joining there idea. il let u know how it pans out..... if it pans out :LOL:

I have used nails on my walls and did plan to when i do the ceiling. I will use screws now for the ceiling having read that but shall i go back over the walls with screws too?

don't sweat it guys. screws ok. nails ok. theres no difference that a plasterboard would notice anyway.
the benefit of screws is the delivery of torque and lack of having to use percussion to deliver the product.
in other words theres less chance of popping if you use screws on an un even ceiling/wall.
that doesn't mean you have to go running for a de walt just coz you've used nails.

The fixings formed by screws do have a bit more endurance over long periods of time than those of nails though, especially if damp comes into the equation. I agree that they're just as good in the short term though, once they're in properly.

I'm not saying take them out and start again, just that if you have the choice, it has to be screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back