Plasterboarding Utility Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to re-plaster my utility room over the next couple of weeks.

The room has 2 external walls (main ones pictured and two internal). My plan is to:

1) DPM on all walls (or just external facing?)
2) Roof battens screwed to wall, fixing the DPM in place.
3) Plasterboard on battens.

Is that the done way? It was previously dot and dabbed but I'd find it easier battening and then mounting the plasterboard directly.

Any suggestions or advice or does that sound reasonable?

Attachments

• IMG_6515 (1).JPG
    IMG_6515 (1).JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
I think by DPM you're referring to Visqueen (or similar plastic sheeting). This is pretty much the done thing nowadays. Either that or Duplex board which is simply plasterboard with a foil backing. There's is no harm in applying either to an external wall but not likely necessary to an internal wall. There's no issue in using battens either. I prefer to use metal lining systems as I can control cavity thickness(for insulation/services), as well as plumb and square etc. But if this not a concern than timber battens are fine.

Thanks for your kind response, glad I’m on the right track!

Finally, would the DPM go behind the battens or on top!?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... typically if boarding to timber frame or metsec/SFS( structural metal equivalent to structural timber) then the vapour barrier is applied directly and boarded. But in your case I would err on the side of caution and fit the vapour barrier behind the battens simply because it wouldn't be ideal 'trapping' timber in a potentially 'wet' environment. You could 'go to town' on it and apply a liberal bead of silicone around the perimeter 'corners', then fit vapour barrier and then batten the perimeter to force a seal. Allow the vapour barrier to protrude all edges and trim back once boarded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back