Plastering around low v halogen spots.

I could use smaller screws for the section of ceiling under her favourite chair!!

I've worked out I'll need about 6 2400x1200 boards in total though may need a little extra (.2 of a board, though the fireplace which juts out may compensate for leftovers.
Another thing I forgot to ask - would a joist automatically situate itself at the beginning of the room/directly above the wall? If it doesn't and there's say 15 inches till the next joist how would you secure the p/board to the ceiling?

Many thanks noseall.

Sponsored Links
start from both ends, and put your cut in the middle. you should stagger the joints too. always fix bound edges of plasterboard 90deg to the joists.

start from both ends, and put your cut in the middle. you should stagger the joints too.

Not quite sure what you mean by start at both ends? I was going to use 2440x1220 boards fitting (with help!) one at a time - two across and approx three the other way. The long side of the boards (2440) will be placed across the joists running 90 degree's to them.
Stagger the joints as in brickwork pattern them? Might be hard with such large boards, unless I use the smaller plasterboards in which case I could probably fix them up by myself (though there will be many more joins...

.. always fix bound edges of plasterboard 90deg to the joists.
The bound side shouldn't run across just one joist and instead be screwed to the individual joists?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to drag this thread from whence it came, but I'm about to finally start the ceiling/s (just about completing the house 'refurb' in the process.
Established the joists have 16" between each other and what appropriate plasteboard sizes I should use, but still have a couple of niggles (even though noseall kindly posted a great deal of help before I finally did his/her swede in!!):

1: The length of the boards should be placed at 90degrees to the joists above?
2: Would a joist usually be directly across the edge of the walls below?
3: *noseall
start from both ends, and put your cut in the middle. you should stagger the joints too.
I read this as 'brickwork' pattern as you would with laying floorboards?
4: I'm going to stuggle (my girlfriend will be helping) fitting massive boards into place - could I really get away with the smallest of boards (bit more expensive and little more wastage but far easier on first attempt to install). If I mesh tape then skim the joins these shouldn't show right....?

Muletide of thanks in advance!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back