Plastering disaster help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really hope someone may be able to help. My bathroom ceiling was a bit of a mess so I got some advice from a handyman friend about what I could do.

He suggested sanding it down and getting off all the bits of flaking paint and bits of artex that were still on it. Then using pva followed by some of the ready made skim and fill stuff. So I followed his instructions and have ended up with a ceiling that is a complete mess, it is incredibly lumpy and uneven and I have no idea what to do next. Tried sanding it with not a lot of luck.

Any advice as to how to fix this? Bearing in mind I have no experience with plastering and am clearly terrible at it. I cant afford a professional but really need to fix it

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I tried plaster myself after the new windows and I ended up struggling due to the varying suction of the new/old plaster. Edit: actually I struggled anyway, but I blame the surfaces:LOL:
However after ending up with a bumpy surface I got whatever screwfix sells as cheap poly filler and filled in all the imperfections.
It's still nowhere near professional, but it's OK.

Your extra issue is that it's the ceiling where the light is, you may need to change the light fitting to one that makes it less obvious.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I may need buckets of the stuff to be honest but I may give that a go!

Can I ask, did you sand the cieling first, and if so did you do it by hand or with an electric sander? I tried sanding by hand but have avoided the electric one so far as I don't want to make it even worse.

To be honest I didn't sand at all, I just kept spraying it and flattening it. I did overpolish a couple of bits by mistake though.
But the holes are the problem that's hard to repair for me at the time, but easy after.
I'm not sure sanding a whole ceiling is going to be a sound idea to be honest. And that comes from someone who tried to use an angle grinder to remove tile cement from the bathroom floor.
Perhaps wait for someone else with more experience to comment.

Sponsored Links
OP,
You can bond and skim the ceiling
or plaster board over and skim the board
or pull the in-place board and replace with new board.

A plasterer will probably charge £200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back