Plastering / filling over electrical cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, an electrician had to knock a hole in our kitchen wall to fix some cabling, and we're now in a position where we're trying to figure out how to fix the hole that lies under a socket and above the glass upstand. I know this isn't rocket science, but I read conflicting opinions on whether we need to "cap" the cables before filling over them.

Firstly, I'm really not sure what kind of "cap" people are referring to when they talk about this. I gather it's probably some sort of plastic thing that we jam in front of the cables which we then Polyfilla over. Can someone please point me in the right direction for exactly what we need to do here? Judging by the photos I've included, is there a specific kind of "cap" we need to buy, does it have a particular name that I can use to search for online?

Also, if anyone could be so kind as to maybe run me through a few bullet points as to exactly what we need to do to fix this hole (e.g. do we need to turn the power of, remove the socket from the wall?).

I know we probably technically don't need to bother capping this first, but I'd probably rather do it just so we're doing everything by the book. It also feels wrong just filling directly on top of an electric cable.

I'd personally rather just get someone out who knows what they're doing and who would do a good job here, but it's such a small job that nobody is really willing to do it.

Sponsored Links
It's normally the electrician's job to cap the cables using something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-25mm-channel-2m/78425 but its such a short length it probably isn't worth worrying about. The capping fixes to the wall with nails and you haven't got room in the slot that the electrician has left to get the channel in.

It is safest to switch off the electricity and remove the socket faceplate when you do the filling, it will need to be off for a while to allow the filler to set. It probably needs filling in layers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back