Plastering in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are threads about this topic, but when reading them, I was not sure that was answering my problem.

So here it is. I have built a bathroom in a loft conversion, I have installed plaster board there.

What I shall put on the top of the plasterboard knowing that some will be recovered with tiles, some with only wall painting?

Is skim plastering sufficient for both cases? I have heard that I should put some undercoat of something? Is that true? Which kind of undercoat?

Cheers.
DvJ

Sponsored Links
You can get a primer from BAL which you can then tile straight onto, provided it's not a wet area (i.e. shower) as that should be Aquapanelled and tanked.

Sponsored Links
HI

This i not related to the other comments but maybe someone can help me...

I am renovating an apartment and I have made a large walk-in shower (1.7x.1.2m) which has solid brick walls already covered in backing plaster.

I want to plaster the inside, and then varnish it to make it water tight and then use this surface as the wet walls of the show instead of tiling.

What I have read and would assume from my own experience is that a standard finishing plaster (or perhaps exterior plaster???) with a water proofer would be sufficient if it was then over-painted a couple of times with a quality exterior wood varnish such as yacht / boat varnish.

Has anyone done this and if so, how. Is it a pain to maintain or anything like that?

Alternatively I was thinking of plastering with a "shale" finish. I'm not sure if this is what its called, but its like crushed shells and produces a rough finish to the walls. You see it in swanky hotels on TV and places like that.

you can see it here : http://www.castorama.fr/store/Catal...p-categorie_4941-casto_product-PRDm766034.htm

I'm not sure if this will end up covered in mould because it is not a smooth surface from which water will run off easily? Maybe the varnish will help it run off quickly?

I live in France where its hot in summer and so perhaps shouldn't be a problem in summer, but in winter it is still pretty cold and water can certainly linger in a shower...

Any thoughts???

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back