Plastering non-functional chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just moved in my first home and have removed tiling from a non-functional chimney and want advice on plastering it, so it can be painted. While removing the tiles from the bottom I found some sort of an insulation or a board(it seems to be soft foam like), I'm unsure how to replace that or what should be done about it. I am very new to all of this so would appreciate if somebody can help me out.

I am attaching the pictures of the chimney to illustrate the above.
Chimney2.jpg
Chimney1.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you planning on having a wood burner installed?
The slab in the bottom looks like insulation?

I am not planning to use it for heating at all. Just want to paint it with the same colour as the wall and make it presentable. The top bit of the chimney opening is partially covered so I will leave it at that in order to keep the chimney ventilated.

It does seem like insulation, is there any advice on how to put new insulation there and how to plaster it over? Can I use gyproc instead of plaster?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back