plastering out doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i want to plaster or is it render my back garden wall, its just blocks.
i have never plastered before but i am good with my hands, i work as a tiler. should i try it myself?
also i have seen walls that when they get wet the brick lines show through,
how do you prevent this? as it rains a lot in ireland! lol
thanks for any help.
noel

Sponsored Links
hi,
i want to plaster or is it render my back garden wall, its just blocks.
i have never plastered before but i am good with my hands, i work as a tiler. should i try it myself?
also i have seen walls that when they get wet the brick lines show through,
how do you prevent this? as it rains a lot in ireland! lol
thanks for any help.
noel

The reason you see the blocks lines through is that the mortar joints and the blocks themselves retain moisture/dry out at different rates. The way to get over this is to make sure that your top coat dries out at the same rate, independent of the blockwork and joints behind it. Do this by waterproofing your scratch coat , without lime, so that the moisture in the blockwork is independent of the finish coat.

Make sure you have a capping with a drip in it on the wall, the drip being wider than the finished render .

Get a decent paint also .

No reason why you can't have a go yourself if you want. A garden wall won't be too big to handle. Presumably you will have some pillars/ peers in it to break it up into smaller areas in a long wall

thanks Micilin, i'll look into that. sounds like i could do it my self. but it is one big plain wall. the pillers are on the other side. its about 8 or 9 foot high by about 20 long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back