Plastering over a horrible splat effect textured ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

On my massive to-do list is to rid this house of the horrible splattered texture on the ceilings (something like the image below).

asbestos%20in%20artex%20ceilings.JPG

I have some (very lol) limited skimming experience on walls (well A wall lol), but I appreciate ceilings are a different ball game, and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it.

It's a 1990 build house, so I'd hope there's nothing more sinister than plain old plasterboard underneath. I'm guessing the plaster aint going to stick very well to this horrible stuff, but after paint stripping an entire wall last year (previous owners had painted gallons and gallons of thick silk emulsion on a fresh wall, then covered it badly with wallpaper when it started to flake off) I'm a bit loathe to do some time consuming stripping job.

Might it be better to just rip it off and start again with fresh plasterboard (could use it as an excuse to get some electrical/lighting work done at the same time)? This is probably beyond me (more from a time point of view than skills - I pick most things up quite easily), any ideas how much a pro might charge per room assuming I've already ripped the old ceiling off - to put up new plasterboard and skim? (based on 4m x 5m rooms)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No need to pull it down, if the ceiling is in good condition (looks to be) you can plaster over Artex quiet successfully but ceilings are not for the feint hearted & are 3x more difficult than walls. Check the boards for security & put in extra screws if you have to, strip any cracks back fill & tape; any paper tape under the Artex that’s exposed needs to be removed. Knock off the peaks with a shovel, don’t sand as older Artex contains asbestos, PVA seal & leave to dry for 24 hours, light PVA again & the skim. If the Artex pattern is coarse, put on a coat of Bonding plaster to bulk it out first; skim over immediately after it’s set, don’t leave it to dry out overnight or you'll have to prep with PVA all over again.

For a rough idea on the cost to prep & skim an average size room, see here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207656

Thanks for that Richard C (for the record I'm Richard B in real life lol ;) ).

Given the house is only a 1990 build is it still likely there'll be asbestos in the stuff they've used? Our ceilings are ever so slightly (although not much) flatter than the one in the image. If there's still a chance it contains asbestos, then is there an easy way to test for it? Everything I can find mentions lab tests.

Given the house is only a 1990 build is it still likely there'll be asbestos in the stuff they've used?

It should be OK, I think they stopped using asbestos in Artex in the 80’s; a Google should bring you up an accurate date.

Our ceilings are ever so slightly (although not much) flatter than the one in the image. If there's still a chance it contains asbestos, then is there an easy way to test for it? Everything I can find mentions lab tests.
I’ve copied this from a previous thread;

Older Artex containing asbestos is classed as low risk & no license is required for its removal but it cannot be disposed of at landfill sites, your local council will advise the nearest disposal centre but there will be a charge. Even though it’s classed as low risk, you should NEVER EVER remove it by sanding or dry scraping. Not only do you risk your own future health but anyone else who lives in the property as the resultant dust will remain within the building fabric causing contamination problems which will never go away unless it’s deep cleaned.

If you feel the need to remove it, steaming is the best way as it prevents any dust but it’s messy, hard work & the ceiling will still require replastering. I used to remove it as a matter of course but I now plaster over, it's the safest & easiest option, 100% successful if correctly done & I now do this all the time unless specifically requested to remove it; providing it’s never disturbed it’s not a hazard.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm, fingers crossed it's not artex then, as I'm guessing drilling holes for spotlights (regardess of whether it's plastered over) is going to cause some dust and possible issues.

you may want to put that coving on your to do list it looks terrible with the returns and pipe work, looks mish mash and dosent look right at all, you will want to sort that out if your going to skim that ceiling, if that was my ceiling i would scrape all the high spots off and pva and skim looks like if you do a good job with scraping theres no need for bonding

....that's an example image - not my house lol.

....but saying that the cowboy housing association builders who put this place together have left plenty of similar looking horrors.

The wonky partition wall hiding a perfectly sound partition wall underneath which was I assume put up purely to make a wrongly hung boiler on the wall next to it look slightly less wonky was a peach of a job lol.

I'm guessing drilling holes for spotlights (regardess of whether it's plastered over) is going to cause some dust and possible issues.
Not really, just wear a mask & clean up well; as I said, it’s considered low risk.

you may want to put that coving on your to do list
Coving is not much more desirable than Artex these days; it’s fashion but if you haven’t got it, don’t put it up! :LOL:

Coving is not much more desirable than Artex these days; :LOL: As desireable as farting at a dinner party :LOL: :LOL: now who said that our Rich'? :LOL:
Well I nearly did but I don’t want to wear it out, I prefer to save it for special occasions! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back