Plastering over artex, is this the expected finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some plastering done as part of a larger job, and it went over an artex ceiling. This is the finish I've found today after completion - almost the entire ceiling has the pattern still visible on it and in much of it I can feel the ridges if I touch it. The pictures are pretty bad from my phone, but you get the idea.

To put it in context, I paid £1000 for:

> removal of 3m x 2.4m of single-skin blockwork wall, disposal of waste
> move lightswitch, move socket (4m of chases total) and make good to plaster finish
> skim entire ceiling (3.5m x 3m)

In retrospect, the cost seems rather excessive and I could have done the demolition and disposal myself in a day with a skip, then got a proper plasterer in (these guys are general builders). I have currently paid them £500 (he asked for it half way through) and have received a bill for the remainder.

I would like to know 1) if this finish is the best we expect over artex and 2) if not, how to carefully approach the subject of righting it, without attracting grief or causing more problems.

Any guidance is appreciated,

KkTAEOx.jpg

jcxWpCM.jpg

TjEfY99.jpg

yYvRCuG.jpg

upxsHDk.jpg

Sponsored Links
I had some plastering done as part of a larger job, and it went over an artex ceiling. This is the finish I've found today after completion - almost the entire ceiling has the pattern still visible on it and in much of it I can feel the ridges if I touch it. The pictures are pretty bad from my phone, but you get the idea.

To put it in context, I paid £1000 for:

> removal of 3m x 2.4m of single-skin blockwork wall, disposal of waste
> move lightswitch, move socket (4m of chases total) and make good to plaster finish
> skim entire ceiling (3.5m x 3m)

In retrospect, the cost seems rather excessive and I could have done the demolition and disposal myself in a day with a skip, then got a proper plasterer in (these guys are general builders). I have currently paid them £500 (he asked for it half way through) and have received a bill for the remainder.

I would like to know 1) if this finish is the best we expect over artex and 2) if not, how to carefully approach the subject of righting it, without attracting grief or causing more problems.

Any guidance is appreciated,

Looks like they skimmed straight onto the artex. With a deep artex coat you can put a tight (thin) coat of Bonding on first before skimming and it should avoid it showing through.
As it stands, they may be able to reskim the ceiling with two fresh coats of multi and it may rectify what you have currently.

I would always put a tight coat of bonding over artex before skimming regardless of how shallow the pattern might be, it sticks much better than skim alone.

As a diyer my process is to knock off the worst of the spikes. Apply plaster bonding agent, coat of bonding plaster then a skim with multi finish. Usually happy with that but i then might go over any rough bits with easi fill.

Sponsored Links
Be careful with Artex and knocking off some of it contains Asbestos unfortunately.

A coat of Bondit then a thin coat of bonding mixed with multi finish laid on will fill all the low spots. Then it be ready for the multi finish and nice smooth finish
We all have our own chosen methods,which are tried and tested over the years.

Be careful with Artex and knocking off some of it contains Asbestos unfortunately.

A coat of Bondit then a thin coat of bonding mixed with multi finish laid on will fill all the low spots. Then it be ready for the multi finish and nice smooth finish
We all have our own chosen methods,which are tried and tested over the years.
Yes it may, i just stick my goggles and dust mask on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back