Plastering over paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering whats the best thing to do when needing a skim over a semi painted wall. I've removed all old paper and there are some patches of paint left on.
I was going to rub all the loose off then give a few good coats of pva before skimming with multi finish. I dont want to dot and dab over it.

What are my options & whats the name of the stuff with grit in you can paste on to give a key as i might need some in the future for some painted ceilings elsewhere in the house? View media item 28876 View media item 28875 View media item 28874 [/img]

Sponsored Links
the names of the grit bonding agents are
bond it, blue grit or wickes bonding agent but if your buying one of these anyway use it on those painted walls

ok i'll have a look for them and compare prices. The stuff id been told about was like a green paste with grit in someone said its around £50 a tub.

ok i'll have a look for them and compare prices. The stuff id been told about was like a green paste with grit in someone said its around £50 a tub.
yes that will be bond it, blue grit is the fraction of the price and does the same job

Sponsored Links
In my opinion do not go for prices. Try best paints so that it remains for a longer time. Money once invested should pay back for at least as much time as possible. Try to search for good painters too.

but he wassnt asking about paint and what paint is the cheapest he was asking what bonding agent to use to give a good key for plaster to stick 2???? :confused:

i've been using feb bluegrit a lot of late, impressed with it and as Steve says, the cheapest of the 3 by some distance.

yes score the wall for key then use bond it or if u are on a budget give it a coat of neat pva with a roller,let it dry overnight then give it a second coat jus before skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back