Plastering square edge of tapered board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't they make tapered boards that have a taper on all 4 sides?
I'm doing a room with 9' 6" walls, so obviously need to add 1' 6" board to the top.
The finish down the tapered edges will be great - but what about the non-tapered joints along the top?
How do I get them to the same finish?
And, if I can get them to the same finish, what's the point of tapered boards in the first ******* place!
Feel better now. ;)

Sponsored Links
you can get 10 foot boards, the idea of tapered on all sides sounds good but its rare ceilings are always set out.

Thanks, jbonding.
Sounds like a logical idea!
Obviously, I didn't know they came in 10'.
Just need to figure how I'm gonna get up there with my 28" inside leg. ;)

Sponsored Links
Been away a while.
What's the lift for, Scrit, to increase my inside leg height or stretch it? :LOL:
The lady has now decided to go for re-skimming.
Not my legs.
I put her a few extra sockets in, and the plaster came off in sheets when I chiselled.
It's a very old house.
The walls sound hollow in most places where plaster is not stuck to the brickwork.
I'm not a plasterer.
I can do dot and dab up to a point, which I advised her to have to save the mess of removing all the old stuff.
She - rightly - asked a plasterer for a quote.
He's said that skimming the old plaster would last 20 years?
Is he a cowboy after a quick buck?
I don't see how skimming over something not attached to the brickwork can be a long-term - 20 years - solution without cracks appearing or chunks falling off?
Any plasterers out there who would do this?
Or should the old stuff be hacked off first?
Or, would you say dot and dab would be just as prone to falling off in sheets?
Did I mention I'm not a plasterer? ;)

Scrit said:
Johnboy54 said:
...need to figure how I'm gonna get up there with my 28" inside leg. ;)
With one of these?

Scrit
21st Century device from Vlad the Impaler :?: Dot/dab :?: .......try battens screwed to wall That`s my opinionated opinion,take it or leave it ;)

OK, so I'd better be serious. The Genie gas lift is good for when you need to lift ceiling boards in a tall room and you're on your own (did a northerm lights roof ceiling with one of those and a scaffolding tower once). For your 9ft 6in room you can get 10ft boards as jbonding said and trim them, although they can take a bit of finding. You'll still need a board or door lifter to butt the top of the board against the ceiling, but it's little more than a piece of plywood with a bit of broom handle nailed to the bottom (to act as a fulcrum). Getting them into position is probably a 2 man job (I'm over 6ft and I wouldn't fancy trying to handle 10 ft boards alone), an you'll need some sort of staging to work on top (plasterer's staging = 2in thick plank + 2 off milk crates :rolleyes: ).

Your man's 20years guarantee sounds a lot like the old motor trade 5/50 guarantee.......

.....if it's still running 5mins or 50 yards after it's left the forecourt - don't bring it back. Is he going to0 be around in 20 years to make good, I wonder? :eek:

Scrit

Thanks to all of you for your replies. :D
I think I'll try to convince her to go for the battens option and forget the 60 y.o. with his 20 year guarantee.
Who'd take an 80 y.o. man to court?
By the sounds of it, I'm not tall enough to cope with 10' boards - even with a lifter!
She did say she'd be happy with a picture rail to cover the joint in 8' boards.
If I use 8' boards it'll save asking the wife for another bit off her broom handle.
Thanks again. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back