plastering tight angles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick one guys. when i recently plastered under some stairs i was struggling with the angle right at the top, its about a 45 degree angle. what can you use to plaster angles like this with ease.

cant find anything

Sponsored Links
When i get an angle like that Sheld', i tape it as per normal, then round it over, if you know what i mean. If you have a gauging trowel,,, then using the end of it, make the angle rounded.
Method:
Put some bonding plaster into the 45 degree angle, then run the shaped end of the gauger, (edgeways), along the sharp angle,,, so you've made the 45 deg. angle right at the top,,, rounded. Let the bonding set up, then "brush" on some multi finish, and smooth the "round angle" off with a piece of polythene, wrapped around the 1" or a 1.5" paint brush. Take your time smoothing it off, as it sets. I do them that way all the time. It looks great when finished!!

I remember working in an small attic bedroom a few years ago, where two sloping walls met at the top, (no ceiling), making a sharp pointed angle at the top. Instead of trying to tape that awkward angle, i "rounded" it off, by fitting a length of 4" plasterboard coving into it,, similar to what i suggested with the angle under your stairs,,, but with you using plaster instead.

that is a splendid idea and obviously keeps the center ceiling line perfectly straight which is a pet hate of mine.

Sponsored Links
its not as sophsiticated as rougcasters ideas but if i come accross an angle like this and the client doesnt want it rounded then i use a brickies trowel i borowed one off of a brickie a few years ago so its noce and worn in he said i can keep it as he has many and we all lived happily ever after the end

If you have to round them, I do as rc says above. I also have a rubber jointing tool to pull along it. It's shaped like a 'spade' as in the playing card suit.

To make them straight, I do one side at a time, rule off the finish , float it then trowel it up.

Check it first with the edge, in case it is crooked enough to need bonding. If it is really bad, then the only way to disguise it is to round it.

and i have just realised we are not talking about what i thought we was haha oh well some you win some you loose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back