Plastering walls before ceiling boarded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be a daft question. I have bricked off the back of garage to make downstairs cloakroom. I have boarded all walls but cannot board ceiling until electrics sorted (looking to put new distribution board and rewire the area but not ready yet). Can I plaster the walls before I board the ceiling?
If so, how do I ensure a neat job plastering to the angle where walls and ceiling meet after I board the ceiling?
Advice appreciated ... Thanks

Sponsored Links
i know it's fiddly but you can fix a narrow strip of plasterboard, say two joists wide on the ceiling wall abutment. this will allow you to scrim the corners and plaster the walls as normal.

the only trouble with doing the ceiling last is plaster drips on the walls. :(

You need a scrim in place between the walls & the ceiling before plastering or it’ll all crack; Follow nosealls advice with the plasterboard strips around the edge; if you plan it right, you should have enough room for your spark to be able to wire up & then fill the gap with full width boards down the centre. The plaster splashes will scrape off the walls fairly easily as long as you don’t let it set, just go around with a scraper immediately after polishing up the ceiling.

Artex the cieling ....they do that last , well thy did when I was last on a site (1979) :oops:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Artex the cieling ....they do that last , well thy did when I was last on a site (1979) :oops:
Artex! yuk; thats so 1979!

Thanks for the reply guys ... good idea (I think I'll give the artex a miss though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back