plastic cladding and my bath that just won't stay sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this and not sure where to post my question but I would be really grateful for help with a problem I have with my bath sealant.
I have plastic cladding on my bathroom walls and a plastic corner spa bath.
My husband has sealed the bath many many times but the sealant keeps coming away from the cladding.He has done all the things you should do when sealing a bath like filling bath with water and cleaning old sealant off but it just won't stay sealed.The water has been leaking through to the floor boards and they are actually starting to rot with the damp.
I have horrible visions of one of us taking a shower and falling through the ceiling into the kitchen one day.Has anyone got any ideas why it just won't stay sealed :(

Sponsored Links
Plastic cladding first i suppose there is no subsititute for taste.anyways the bath is probably acrylic and installed badly.this needs to be battened against the wall so there is no moment what so ever

Then all the old sealant cleaned out properly and using some scotbrite key the area where the silicone will need to bond to so it can adhere to the plastic

The key to all this is the bath is not fitted correctly and needs to be removed and installed correctly

Plastic cladding first i suppose there is no subsititute for taste.anyways the bath is probably acrylic and installed badly.this needs to be battened against the wall so there is no moment what so ever

Then all the old sealant cleaned out properly and using some scotbrite key the area where the silicone will need to bond to so it can adhere to the plastic

The key to all this is the bath is not fitted correctly and needs to be removed and installed correctly

Thanks for the help happyplumber,I will try that.....by the way,whats wrong with plastic cladding? Looks quite classy actually! lol :LOL:

Now`t wrong with plastic cladding - Did a whole shower room @ last house . BUT --- You MUST use NEUTRAL CURING SILICONE - :idea: :idea: the other ( vinegar smelling) stuff will NOT work and WILL come away - That`s why window fitters use the vinegar stuff :LOL: :LOL: and it comes away in strings - I`ve replaced some myself. ;) No need for scotchbrite : or any other scratching of the plastic - just use the right silicone- And it will hold the bath to the panels . Not having a go @ a fellow tradesman - just had the problems myself with the Wrong silicone - Know better now.

Sponsored Links
No worries at all Nigel,personally if i ever have any issues with anything adhering a bit of red scotchbrite used neatly sorts the problems out thats why i suggested it

yes neautral cure silicone would also be good to use :D

Now`t wrong with plastic cladding - Did a whole shower room @ last house . BUT --- You MUST use NEUTRAL CURING SILICONE - :idea: :idea: the other ( vinegar smelling) stuff will NOT work and WILL come away - That`s why window fitters use the vinegar stuff :LOL: :LOL: and it comes away in strings - I`ve replaced some myself. ;) No need for scotchbrite : or any other scratching of the plastic - just use the right silicone- And it will hold the bath to the panels . Not having a go @ a fellow tradesman - just had the problems myself with the Wrong silicone - Know better now.

Thaks Nige,am very grateful for your reply,Yes,my Hubby has been using the vinegar smelling silicone,will now try the neutral curing silicone that you recommended,and if that don't work will try fixing bath to the wall,and if that don't work.....I will just sit and cry my eyes out! :cry: :D

You should address any lack of rigidity BEFORE re-sealing the bath, otherwise any attempt at sealing it is doomed to failure. The bathtub fixing needs to be rock solid. Any perceptible movement is too much movement.

As above, a batten on the wall for the lip of the bath to rest on, and be secured to, along with some bearers under the feet to spread the load over several joists helps a lot. All the feet should be adjusted so they all take their share of the load. The feet are usually fixed to the floor too.

Sometimes adding some extra support behind the bath panel can help stabilise the tub.

The sealant just absorbs a little movement due to thermal expansion etc. It isn't designed to take up any movement due to bad installation.

Same goes for the wall panels if there's any chance they could move away from the bath.

Thanks very much,I now feel more as if I could do a better job than my Hubby....I am very gratefal for your advice and the others who replied :D
You should address any lack of rigidity BEFORE re-sealing the bath, otherwise any attempt at sealing it is doomed to failure. The bathtub fixing needs to be rock solid. Any perceptible movement is too much movement.

As above, a batten on the wall for the lip of the bath to rest on, and be secured to, along with some bearers under the feet to spread the load over several joists helps a lot. All the feet should be adjusted so they all take their share of the load. The feet are usually fixed to the floor too.

Sometimes adding some extra support behind the bath panel can help stabilise the tub.

The sealant just absorbs a little movement due to thermal expansion etc. It isn't designed to take up any movement due to bad installation.

Same goes for the wall panels if there's any chance they could move away from the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back