Plastic Decking .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ,
I have just spent a couple of hrs wire brushing the flaky deck treatment off my decking which I put up a couple of yrs ago .
I seem to re-cover it each year .

I am planning to extend the decking and saw some plastic decking product in a window/fascia board outlet a few months ago .

My question is has anybody used this plastic decking planks and are they any good .?
I am thinking ,not having to treat them each year may be good .
Any views of these anyone please .

Many Thanks
Regards
Rob.

Sponsored Links
if its flakey then your using the wrong treatment, what are you using?

never used the plastic stuff, seen it a few times and i wasnt impressed, but each to their own!

Hi Thermo ,thanks for reply .
I have been usung Ronseal decking product .
First put on and it seemed to soak in well and looked good .
Year later some had worn off so I recoated all of it .
This year lots of it has flaked and I have removed most of it with wire brush ready to redo again.
A mate has recommended Sikkens ,which he uses to paint his wooden conservatory .
What do you think ?
Regards
Rob.

is it a stain or a treatment that youve applied such as an oil? STain and decking dont go together and whatever you use will normally wear off very quickly and go flakey in places (doesnt say that on the tin does it!) The only thing we recomend is decking oil to our customers

Sponsored Links
Thermo ,I think it says stain on the tin ,but its like a paint finish .
I will check .

Ooops ,it does say stain on the tin .!! :rolleyes:

What should I be using ?
I have bought a fresh tin ,of the same product but I can take it back and swap it if I know what to swap it for .

Any advice gratefully received .
Many Thanks
Regards
Rob.

As Mr T says, use decking oil, not stain. One sits on the wood, one sits IN it. You want the latter.

Make sure you remove all the crap you have already put on it first.

Any particular brand better than others ?.
I think I saw ronseal deck oil ,but I dont want to put that on if its as crap as the stain,which I presumed was fit for purpose .!!

ronseal, cuprinol are ok, but by far the best of the bunch is liberon (you can buy it from toolstation on the net)

Get an oil based treatmant.

All of the water based stuff is pants, driven by the green brigade but you have to redo it so often it probably has treble the impact on the environment.

Usually if it comes in a metal (like the old oil can) type can, it will be oil based and much longer lasting.

Wickes do a wood treatment in a can which is sprayable, oil based and seems to be very good, I use it to treat our log cabin office.

Old crappy stain removed as much as possible and recoated with OIL .
Looks good ,so thanks fellas .
New decking ,when done will be covered in OIL from the start so no more stain for me .!!

Regards
Rob .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back