Plastic drip on timber windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C16DC30F-4EFB-4E60-B0F0-90B37D5740DD.jpeg We have had new timber windows installed at front of our Edwardian semi. Will be putting a drip on top of window before we repair pebbledash on part of this front elevation. My dad, builder of 50 years experience, who wanted me to put uPvc windows in, says if you were so keen to have wooden windows why would you have a plastic drip there? The joiners who made our windows were not originally planning on putting a wooden bead there. My question is would it really stand out (in a bad way) to have pine windows and a plastic drip on top. This is on the first floor so I would have thought it wouldn’t be noticeable? I don’t mind paying for the extra moulding if looks noticeably better, prob match the moulding on the bay windows (ovolo or lambs tongue). it’s the casement window on 1st floor….

Sponsored Links
If you mean the head drip on left hand casement - it hardly matters, it’s up in the air so hard to see from ground and protected by roof overhang.

I would say use plastic.

If you mean side trims, we’ll same thing.

only thing to bear in mind is plastic will go a different colour to the paint on windows over many years….but it’s only a small trim all the same

nice windows, looks like a nicely made and installed job….I imagine you are pleased.

conventional stormproof upvc would have looked awful. the big chunky sight lines would have ruined the look of the bays totally.

it would’ve been heresy putting in upvc in an Edwardian period house.

Flush timber alternative upvc would’ve looked ok but closer to timber price.

If you mean the head drip on left hand casement - it hardly matters, it’s up in the air so hard to see from ground and protected by roof overhang.

I would say use plastic.

If you mean side trims, we’ll same thing.

only thing to bear in mind is plastic will go a different colour to the paint on windows over many years….but it’s only a small trim all the same

nice windows, looks like a nicely made and installed job….I imagine you are pleased.

conventional stormproof upvc would have looked awful. the big chunky sight lines would have ruined the look of the bays totally.

it would’ve been heresy putting in upvc in an Edwardian period house.

Flush timber alternative upvc would’ve looked ok but closer to timber price.

yes v pleased with them, and yes the timber effect were similar in price to timber. I particularly like the cornice above each bay.

@Notch7 You said for side trims “we’ll same thing” did you mean you would go for plastic there too?

here’s a pic of what the front of the house used to look like. We also had Tyrolean removed from front and soft red bricks weather pointed, and used render board and mock Tudor boards on the roof. A bit more expensive for those but no maintenance…

the house has been a moneypit but not planning to move ever again!

Attachments

• 7349159F-0B97-421F-B80F-828A741AB36B.jpeg
    7349159F-0B97-421F-B80F-828A741AB36B.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 75
  • D56EA9D9-5C2F-4A4A-AA2E-806A7F2F3FAB.jpeg
    D56EA9D9-5C2F-4A4A-AA2E-806A7F2F3FAB.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 8F7F8C12-E895-4858-91FC-37FC52D740D6.png
    8F7F8C12-E895-4858-91FC-37FC52D740D6.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back