Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not technically a disaster, but felt this was the most appropriate section of the forum.

Just a story from a now retired plumber in my family. A long time ago, a plumber in my extended family (now retired) got a call from someone saying they could smell gas in their home. When he got there, he found out that some cowboy previously had run the gas supply from the meter to the boiler in plastic pipe and lots of compression fittings under the floor.

Not sure of the exact details, but the only other thing I remember is that the plumber in my extended family unsurprisingly had to replace the whole pipe with copper.

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
Put it on this thread I created, to catalogue all the 'dodgy jobs' we've encountered!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not technically a disaster, but felt this was the most appropriate section of the forum.

Just a story from a now retired plumber in my family. A long time ago, a plumber in my extended family (now retired) got a call from someone saying they could smell gas in their home. When he got there, he found out that some cowboy previously had run the gas supply from the meter to the boiler in plastic pipe and lots of compression fittings under the floor.

Not sure of the exact details, but the only other thing I remember is that the plumber in my extended family unsurprisingly had to replace the whole pipe with copper.

Regards: Elliott.
i've seen the use of plastic pipes everywhere now. such disregard for safety.
There is a street near my home where they are replacing the old gas pipe network into old properties and they are using plastic instead of iron...and this is the gas network installer....shocking
I also pass a stretch where they are replacing the water main (iron) and again they are using plastic.
How can this be allowed...and by the so called experts... !
shocking

i've seen the use of plastic pipes everywhere now. such disregard for safety.
There is a street near my home where they are replacing the old gas pipe network into old properties and they are using plastic instead of iron...and this is the gas network installer....shocking
I also pass a stretch where they are replacing the water main (iron) and again they are using plastic.
How can this be allowed...and by the so called experts... !
shocking

What's unsafe about plastic pipes?!

Sponsored Links
They would probably be safe in your home if run in one single length, from meter to final point. If joints are needed then I would imagine solvent weld, as opposed to compression joints, would be much safer.
But I am not a plumber/gas fitter so could be entirely wrong.

They would probably be safe in your home if run in one single length, from meter to final point.

More chance of melting, anywhere along their length, should there be a fire. Copper pipe is only at risk in a low temperature fire, where the soldered joints are.

I was more confused about old duffers reaction to plastic water pipes...

average house fire temp is 820 degrees C.
Solder melts @ 450 but here is the important bit....autoignition of methane is at 537 degrees.
so the solder on the pipes will have been compromised and the the gas will autoignite regardless of if you use copper or steel pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back