Plastic Inspection Chamber Base Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am replacing an existing chamber with new plastic one.

Is it OK, even desirable to retain some of the existing chamber structure (if possible) to support the plastic base, or should I beak up all of the old and remove? Was thinking of using concrete to get the base sitting level and the water flowing properly.

Assuming I have to remove the old structure entirely can the new base just sit on the earth? Previously when I have fitted gully's I have put down a paving slab onto the earth to support them and backfilled with pea gravel up to the crown. Is it the same for plastic inspection chambers, if not what method should I use?

Cheers

Justin

Sponsored Links
I would have thought you’d be best installing on a bed of pea shingle.

Ordinarily you would pack dryish concrete around the base of a new plastic chamber.

Because of their awkward shaped (placcy IC chambers) bottoms, I would say it was more economical to remove all hard material and start again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

I will see what I can do with the existing base, assuming it needs to be removed, how deep should I pack in the dry concrete? Is it as little as I can get away with and just enough to support the base or is there a depth requirement?

Justin

We normally have enough for a smattering of a base (50mm or so) then fill the cavities of the base as full as you can.
Be careful that you don't block or restrict any of the outlets though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back