Plastic Joists anyone?

Sponsored Links
Some years ago, our local supermarket had a few newly-installed outside bench seats made of this stuff. Over a period of about two years, they disappeared one by one as the uprights snapped off at the base.

To quote fiberon's own website:

"Fiberon’s composite material is more expensive than wood, but offers a higher quality product overall"

Hmm

Sponsored Links
It's great material. Used a lot commercially. The main benefit is long life outdoors without maintenance. The new stuff is incredibly tough making it pretty vandal resistant. It's used for road name signs, footpath signs, picnic benches and decking/boardwalk at visitor centres. Can't see much benefit for joists in a house, good in the garden, though

thanks for all your comments...
I'm tempted to give it a go for a suspended floor which is giving me many headaches - the damp cause should be targeted at the source but this is coming from the neighbour property and I'd rather cut short of any doubts and legal and costly disputes and go plastic rather than wood.

Fact is....these products aren't a novelty and if recycled plastic/composite joists haven't yet been used inside properties there must be a good reason...or is it a case of lethargy and lack of adventure in the present industry?
I mean this is recycled plastic...in commercial term a wide use-spread of these products would lower production costs dramatically and the perceived advantages over wood are massive (but maybe there are hidden issues?).

If you want to throw money away why not use a steel beam to support the end of the joists away from the party wall.
I would try and solve the real problem though.

If you want to throw money away why not use a steel beam to support the end of the joists away from the party wall.
I would try and solve the real problem though.

I've just found out about concrete beams like these - these tick the lot except for the massive weight of 122kg a piece!
http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/supreme-3600mm-suspended-concrete-t-beam-flooring.html

Aluminium beams are very costly at about £150 a piece
Steel RSJ can be found at less than £50 per 3.6m (these might be the best option so far)

but the cheaper option might be some steel U channels 100mm x 100mm x 100mm - thickness 5mm...now, if used in lengths of 3.6m with an RSJ underneath to support the load in the middle and increase stiffness these should work...but I'm googling for alternative sizes e.g. 150 x 60 x 60 of the same thickness.

I'm getting there....

I've just found out about concrete beams like these - these tick the lot except for the massive weight of 122kg a piece!.

I used to date a lass who was half that length and half the weight too, and carrying her wasn't a problem, so it would stand to reason that two people should be able to lift one of those.. and yet, it never seems to work out that way with building materials

Perhaps "need" weighs more than "want"

Can we have an update on the fantastic plastic bonkertastic brainwave? I'm thinking of getting some to go with the kids lego this Christmas - if they come in various colours. o_O

If you go for it in a big way, should we call you ^plasticky^?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back