Plastic Pip Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a caravan & the external water pipes are all plastic. They change to copper where they enter the van. On tne external pipework I need to change two bends to drain off points. ie change the bends to tees & insert some sort of drain off mechanism. The present plastic fittiings are a bit like the brass compression fittings. You fix by putting the screw cap on the pipe, followed by an O ring, a firm plastic washer and a metal "washer" that grips the pipe. Youn then screw on the remainder of the bend.

What I would like to know is:-
How do I get the "metal" washer off the existing pipe?
What type of plastic tees do I need? Are they just called plastic tees?
What is the correct name for the drain off mechanism? (Like the drain off valve on heating systems)
Can I connect the drain off direct into the tee? (As if it was just a pipe).

The water in the pipes is fed from the mains, although the pressure is quite weak. I tried to attach a picture of what I meant, but even that defeated me, so you can see I need help.

Many thanks

[/img][/quote]

Sponsored Links
You can drain the pipework by undoing the existing push-fit elbows. No need for any drain-off valves!

Thanks but I do know that.
Over the winter one of the bends that I want to replace has obviously still had some water in & frozen, breaking the screw on end. As I need to replace this I thought I might as well go the full "hog" and insure that next year I can drain that part completely (& easily). Hence I would like to put in another drain off valve.

Sponsored Links
If you need to remove a damaged "nut" then you'll have to remove the grab ring - easiest thing is to cut the pipe just up from the ring. Replace the elbow with a tee and fit whatever drain valve you like to the third branch of the tee. If you want it to be easy to use don't bother with drain-off valves - use an isolating valve or stop tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back