Plastic pipe inserts always neded?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed the cold water tank in the loft so that the bathroom taps can be supplied directly using the mains cold water. In doing so, I changed a 2 ft section of 15mm copper pipe and used a straight section of white plastic pipe together with John Guest push fit connectors.

Looking on the net, I have seen that pipe inserts are often used on the plastic pipe ends, presumably to strengthen the pipe and wonder whether I should have done the some? I have no leaks and all seems ok.

The pipe section I changed is straight and not under any bending stress, infact its under slight compression from the pipes above and below.

Since I used push fit rather than compression fittings and its a cold water supply IM hoping there isn't an issue, however I would be interested to know why the pipe inserts are needed and whether I should revisit my installation.

Sponsored Links
Revisit and replace ;) Technical reasons will be on the JG website - I don`t do technical :mrgreen:

yes they are required and on a cold main more so, get some and install them they are not expensive

And turn the stop tap off till they're fitted, better to be safe than sorry ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back