Plastic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
think I posted on the wrong forum last time, didn't get much response...so here goes.

I have been told by a guy that the plastic/vinyl tiles that have been down on my kitchen floor for years and years (not loose), can be left down and my new ceramic/porcelain tiles can be laid on top of them.....no need to lift them if they are not loose.
This sounds dodgy to me, but I would be grateful for your expert knowlege please.
Cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
Not really sure Anderson.
They were down when we moved in 20 years ago. They are either on even older floor tiles.....which are the original ones fitted 47 years ago when the house was built....don't know what they would be made of. Or if previous owners took those up, then they are on bare concrete.

My preference is always to take them up,a bit of sweat and hard work never hurt anyone ;) laying onto the concrete would be first choice,there will no doubt be a residue of adhesive on the floor from them,probably bitumen,it's fine to lay tiles onto this.

Sponsored Links
Always preferrable to take them up, but it isn't really necessary as long as your vinyl tiles are securely fixed. I always recommend using a powdered adhesive that's suitable for porcelain tiles when tiling over vinyl tiles.

Might give it a go taking them up then, but if they are really stuck fast will have to resign myself to leaving them put.
Thanks guys for your help and opinions much appreciated :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back