Plastic water pipe slightly scored

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so i've had a little DIY mishap. I was cutting out a opening to surface mount a device on my wall. In hindsight, i should have checked for water pipes in the wall but I really didnt expect water pipes to be in there. So Behind the dry wall was a small piece of ply so i drilled small holes to break a section of the ply out. But when drilling i was careful to go gently and not go to far in just incase there were wires. So anyway after cutting out the ply. On the very far corner I just managed to catch hot and cold water pipes running to the WC. One of the pipes has a little bit of scoring from the drill touching it. At most the deepest score will probably be 2-3mm if that. I've attached a photo. It's the hot water one that has the most scoring. From what I understand these pipes are quiet thick. Is this something that will need to be fixed to prevent leak or should it be ok?

Photo below: it's the pipe on the far left that has the most scoring.

Ib1QHyV.jpg

Sponsored Links
Also noticed the pipe on the right which is the cold water pipe has scores on the side and a few tiny holes where the tip of the drill touched. So far there are no leaks. My concern is will this leak over time? Can I apply anything on top as a precaution?

Also noticed the pipe on the right which is the cold water pipe has scores on the side and a few tiny holes where the tip of the drill touched. So far there are no leaks. My concern is will this leak over time? Can I apply anything on top as a precaution?

Personally id not take the chance. 2-3mm is pretty deep, thats probably more then half the thickness of the pipe. Id personally just cut the sections out and replace those bits of pipe, trying to avoid leaving any joints hidden in walls.

+1.

Unfortunately, it happens. Done it myself plenty of times. Get them changed.

Sponsored Links
It's been just over a week now and still seems to have no leaks. The pipes go to a WC which I plan to renovate in 6-12months time at that time I can fish new pipes through but in the meantime as long as I keep an eye on the pipe in that opening should be ok? The surface mounted device is easily removable for inspection behind it so I'll just keep and eye on it.

When I run new plastic pipes, do I need to insulate the pipes in the cavity? Some of it currently has some sort of aluminium tape wrapped around it

leave it at your peril, I would cut it out now, not exactly a big job

What could possibly go wrong! If that's within your risk-assessment then you're free to do as YOU choose :)

do I need to insulate the pipes in the cavity? Some of it currently has some sort of aluminium tape wrapped around it
The aluminium tape was there so that your metal detector worked, to stop you drilling into the pipes :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back