Plastic water pipes - distance from electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm switching some copper pipes to plastic and running them under my floor boards. I'm not an electrician and am getting one in to do a rewire.

However I remember him saying that copper piping had to be a certain distance from electrical wire. Is the same true for plastic pipes? If so how far must the distance be?

I could do with knowing so I know where to put the water pipes as I do know where he'd like to run wires.

Sponsored Links
2" unless there are thermal considerations i.e. they are hot pipes.
Is there really a regulation requiring a separation of 2" (must be an old reg if it's stated in imperial :) ) between cables and a plastic pipe carrying cold water? If there is, I must have missed it (in particular, I see no such requirement in 528.3)!

Kind Regards, John

So they don't need to be separated by a certain distance like copper pipes? Or they do...?

I reckon I could definitely get them 2"/50mm away if required.

Sponsored Links
If you can get them 2" away while staying in the permitted areas for drilling or notching joists, then I'd just do it.

So they don't need to be separated by a certain distance like copper pipes? Or they do...?
Even with copper (water) pipes, I don't think you'll find a regulation which actually specifies a minimum separation - unless someone can point me towards a regulation I have overlooked!

As has been implied, the main issue is about heat. You want to keep cables as far as you can from sources of heat, and that includes pipes carrying hot water (whether plastic or copper).

Kind Regards, John

So at the very least do something like

____________ Electric cable

========= Cold water

========= Hot water

Preferably spacing the water pipes further rather than closer to the electrics cables.

I really wish I could remember exactly what he said about the electric/copper piping. It was something about induction when they're parallel, but like I said I can't exactly remember and I'm no electrician. I just want to make his job a little easier if possible as it makes no difference in time/effort for me where I put them in relation to cables.

So at the very least do something like
____________ Electric cable
========= Cold water
========= Hot water
Preferably spacing the water pipes further rather than closer to the electrics cables.
That seems reasonable. It's essentially common sense.
I really wish I could remember exactly what he said about the electric/copper piping. It was something about induction when they're parallel, but like I said I can't exactly remember and I'm no electrician. I just want to make his job a little easier if possible as it makes no difference in time/effort for me where I put them in relation to cables.
I really don't think induction is an issue. Apart from anything else, the fields due to currents flowing 'in oppoiste directions' in L and N conductors of the cable should 'cancel out'. However, it's obviously your electrician who has to be happy with whatever arrangement you end up with, so you really need to confirm with him, rather than with us - as I've been saying, I don't think it's anything to do with explicit regulations, hence largely a matter of the electrician's 'personal opinion'.

Kind Regards, John

I really don't think induction is an issue. Apart from anything else, the fields due to currents flowing 'in oppoiste directions' in L and N conductors of the cable should 'cancel out'. However, it's obviously your electrician who has to be happy with whatever arrangement you end up with, so you really need to confirm with him, rather than with us - as I've been saying, I don't think it's anything to do with explicit regulations, hence largely a matter of the electrician's 'personal opinion'.

Fair point. Thanks for all the help though.

there should be minimal induction provided the electrics are all balanced with the live and neutral in the same cable and all the earthing is in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back