distance between copper water pipes and electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey is there a required distance copper hot and cold water pipes should be from the main electric board for a domestic house?

Sponsored Links
A sensible distance would be greater than 150mm.
I don't think there is given distance in the wiring regs, common scene is the key element.

A sensible distance would be greater than 150mm.
You must have really poor water pressure!

Not a lot's going to stand between a holed water mains and getting your electrics damp. I think the regs mention it somewhere; 50mm I've in my head somehow. I suppose that's enough to put someone off wedging something between pipe and board that a slow leak could bridge.

Edit: Nope, not the regs. Dunno where I've got that from then; OSG perhaps.

Sponsored Links
I don't recall defined measurement in BS7671, I am only aware of stated distance for gas pipes.
There isn't a 'defined measurement' even for gas pipes in BS7671 (it's only in the OSG) - and I don't think that either document says anything specific about water pipes. As mfarrow said, if we're talking about protecting electrical things from water, then even two or three metres would not be enough to make any appreciable difference in the face of a pipe at mains water pressure with a hole in it!

Kind Regards, John

It's not in BS7671 as it is gas regulation but as it is related to both gas and electrics you would think that it would be.
My comments were not mean't to indicate that the distances are mentioned in BS7671, only that I am aware of stated distance for gas pipes to electrical equipment.
Not sure of the exact reg number but I think it's in 528, which more or less say common scenes, where there is a potential hazard.

Condensation dripping from cold water pipes is a reason to avoid such pipes running over electrical equipment.

Condensation dripping from cold water pipes is a reason to avoid such pipes running over electrical equipment.
That makes good sense - but in that case, of course, the potential problem exists no matter how great (within reason!) the distance between the pipe and the electrical equipment.

Kind Regards, John

Not sure of the exact reg number but I think it's in 528, which more or less say common scenes, where there is a potential hazard.
Yes, in terms of gas pipes, that's true. However, in relation to water pipes, I'm really not sure what 'common sense' would mean - as I said, if it's the risk of water leaks affecting electrical equipment that one is concerned about, then nothing short of impractical separations would make much difference!

Kind Regards. John

The header tank in my loft had a leak, and the water found it's way into one of the ground floor light fittings.

The header tank in my loft had a leak, and the water found it's way into one of the ground floor light fittings.
Quite so - and those of us (probably most of us!) who have ever experience water at mains pressure escaping from a pipe or fitting will understand that no amount of 'separation' will spare anything electrical in the same room!

Kind Regards, John

so there's no set distance water pipes need to be from the main fuse board/ consumer unit in a domestic property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back