Plastic wood for fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Has anyone built a garden fence of this stuff?
I also can't find any details on how much it costs.. is it more expensive than real wood?

Sponsored Links
I've used recycled polyethylene plastic in the past for a number of projects including fencing panels, planters, notice boards, park benches, etc. It is more expensive than hardwood although it is fairly vandal proof (expected life circa 40 to 70 years). It also requires some form of structural support as it tends to sag over time if there is none - I found the best way to provide this on some structures was ti use welded stainless steel frames. For these reasons the only people who buy it seem to be local/national government bodies

Why use it?

The fence posts are the bits that fail, cheap nasty fence panels still last an age, get some decent timber and V good posts (either hardwood, treated, concrete or plastic composite).

Decent timber fence boards will outlive you, and stay looking good. The cheap **** that is £<20 a panel will only last <30 years if maintained.

was thinking of using as i'm getting fed up of the maintenence i.e creosoting a 6 foot high fence thats 70 feet long. cuprinol and the like just don't cut the mustard in my opinion

building a wall would cost me a fortune..

Sponsored Links
Use pressure treated timber then.

As above, use properly pressure treated timber for the fence panels, or natural durable timber, like chestnut or oak.

It will go grey, but won't rot for 30+ years if it's treated, or over 60 if it's oak or chestnut. Anything below 250mm above ground however is more vulnerable due to splash back.

For the posts, either use hardwood, plastic or concrete. You can get treated posts to last 30+ years, but you have to be very careful where you buy
them.

The cuprinal is only for ....

1. to preserve the colour
2. to preserve cheap fence panels that haven't been properly pressure treated.

was thinking of using as i'm getting fed up of the maintenence i.e creosoting a 6 foot high fence thats 70 feet long. cuprinol and the like just don't cut the mustard in my opinion

building a wall would cost me a fortune..
60mins work with a decent spray gun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back