Plate compactors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do folk think to the Scheppach plate compactors ?

Aldi are selling the 5.5HP one for £270 but they are about £500 everywhere else. This is the one aldi are selling, but at tool station:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Po...ch+HP1100S+5.5H+Petrol+Plate+Compactor/p50923

Is it worth buying at that price and then you resell it after you have used it a few times for your small jobs.

I am doing my patio and drive this year so have thought about buying one as i will need to hire a plate about 3 x in the year as i cannot got it all done in one go.

Sponsored Links
I rarely use these things Trevor but I do repair them from time to time......on testing them I find the lightweight ones to be almost a waste of time - they just aren't heavy enough to do serious compacting. Also they don't have a clutch so once they are started, off they go which is a real nuisance.
Personally I'd hire a professional machine, but over to the others for their opinions!
John :)

I rarely use these things Trevor but I do repair them from time to time......on testing them I find the lightweight ones to be almost a waste of time - they just aren't heavy enough to do serious compacting. Also they don't have a clutch so once they are started, off they go which is a real nuisance.
Personally I'd hire a professional machine, but over to the others for their opinions!
Every small one I have used had a throttle , at idle it does not move.

Sponsored Links
Every small one I have used had a throttle , at idle it does not move.
When I start the tings up for testing, I have to disconnect the belt so the eccentric weight doesn't spin. I find the machines bounce all over the place which means any adjustments are bloody difficult with the belt on :eek:

I have bought one !

Delivery is next week. I am sure it will be fine for me as a dIY'er. Just need to tamp down the drive as got 10 T type1 coming any minute. Then probably add some more in autumn before i actually do the block paving.

If they are normally £500, i reckon i will be able to sell mine for a small profit considering i will also have no hire charges.

Snooze you lose. All sold out at Aldi. 3 year warranty so doesn't matter too much if it's crap or not.

So it is a good deal really. I bought one last night. Just hope it is fulfilled. Stock not in until 6th june

I saw that on aldi too, my only thoughts was is there much vibration dampening in the handles? I have used a friends old one with no anti vibe and it was murder!

I have a second hand Wacker, ex-hire, similar size and spec to the scheppach. It cost a few hundred pound, I've had 5yrs of use out of it and is probably still worth the same!

You will find that these are Chinese copies of the Honda engines some times the older model.

First thing I would do is change the oil if it comes filled and then change the spark plug.

Most machines are supplied dry, and you add the oil (10/40 semi synthetic is fine) to the required level.
It's a good move to change the oil frequently!
No need to replace the sparking plug.

Fair comment, when these things come in for repair they get a new plug as a matter of course - hopefully to provide reliability for the user.
Oil changes are vital of course, although the Chinese products are getting better. Many years ago, we used to criticise the Japs for exactly the same thing......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back