Plate Heat Exchanger swap advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, can i take your advice on something please?

I have a Main Combi Eco 30 and it seems like my plate heat exchanger is clogged up (from researching symptoms). I've bought a replacement online and want to have a go at replacing myself, so I know for future reference too for cleaning/ maintenance.

If I run through the steps I am thinking can you please advise if I've missed anything out or doing incorrectly.

1. Switch off electric to boiler
2. Turn off all pipes below boiler
3. Remove Cover
4. Drain boiler only (not full system) using white release valve with bucket underneath.
5. Remove (plate) heat exchanger screws, then unit itself. (Is there anything else I'll have to remove first to get to it?)
6. Replace with new HE and screw back in.
7. Refill boiler using normal filling loop.

Do I need to know about filling or releasing air? or about greasing any parts? or any other tips/advice?

Thanks in advance guys,

Sponsored Links
Lots of blue roll, it’s generally the easiest of them all to do although I’m allowed to remove the side panel for easier removal cause I got a gas safe card! :)

Make sure you try your hot water taps before you strip it down. They should stop running if isolated properly. Leave them open too, it can stop water making its way back to the boiler

Thanks for your help guys, followed the advice and just replaced the PHE. When i unpacked it, it was a bit thicker than the original but I called the (online) supplier who told me it should be fine/better.
However, I now have a problem that when I run the hot water - after closing the tap I can hear sloshing sounds. A bit like those of a washing machine if that makes sense? Can you advise anything on this, or suggest to start a new thread?
Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Don't start a new thread, that'll just cause confusion. The sloshing sound is likely to be air in the boiler which hasn't been vented properly

Thanks for the quick reply Muggles, what would be the best way to vent this?. I’ve tried googling but not been able to find the right way to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back