plate heat exchanger trouble removing screws

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's the plate ? :ROFLMAO: your shower not getting hot enough does not shout plate to me, good luck anyway.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a small socket set?
Looks like you 'may' be able to get a socket on the hexagonal outer!

I have one of these...

View attachment 100132

I've got one too mate. But I'm not sure if the ratshit is that good?
It was just over 2 quid in Maplins.

Mine's a decent branded one (in fact I have a couple of them - different designs) but I know what you're saying, just thought he might have a better chance, getting one on than an ordinary socket wrench, due to space restrictions! Worth a try with normal one first though!

Is this a job you are competently qualified to carry out?
yes i am
Being a 15 year time served Handyman, does not mean you are competent to work on a boiler!
And no disrespect my friend it seems by the evidence given so far, your handyman skills are not to the level of selecting the correct tools for the task at hand. So competence is somewhat limited!
With regards to removing the screws, as already advised a screw extractor kit would be the best option. If you have details on the boiler make/model then the correct replacement screws can be specified.

Last edited:
If you can get a dremel to that head, you could cut a slot across it and use a large flat screwdriver to remove the bolt. It looks like something where an allen head cap screw would be more suitable as a replacement. Maybe tricky to find in brass though!

Maybe there's enough clearance around the head to get a small box spanner/nut spinner in there.

Drilling off the head will let the part slide forwards off the thread (provided it can move that way) . If the body etc was threaded to the screw it wouldn't be able to tighten the assembly together.

if you get really in trouble, you can drill it out with a left hand drill bit (expensive) which will most likely bring the screw out with it
Do you have a small socket set?
Looks like you 'may' be able to get a socket on the hexagonal outer!

I have one of these...

View attachment 100132
Yes I did try this but the screw head is flash with the brass part of the boiler if not slightly under it so there is no room at all to use a small socket set there. Unfortunatly I don't heve a dremel. In few ocassions I need one but always a bit expensive to get a good one to use only occasionally.

yes i am
Being a 15 year time served Handyman, does not mean you are competent to work on a boiler!
And no disrespect my friend it seems by the evidence given so far, your handyman skills are not to the level of selecting the correct tools for the task at hand. So competence is somewhat limited!
With regards to removing the screws, as already advised a screw extractor kit would be the best option. If you have details on the boiler make/model then the correct replacement screws can be specified.[
yes i am
With regards to removing the screws, as already advised a screw extractor kit would be the best option. If you have details on the boiler make/model then the correct replacement screws can be specified.
Details of the boiler was given above. From what i can see including manual and online pdf no part number can be found absolulty nowhere for screws. They are also not included when you buy a new plate heat exchanging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back