platerboard fixings for curtain rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had a great deal of success with plasterboard fittings. The screw in the first photo tends to want to turn the actual rawlplug and the second needs a huge hole. What's the best type to use for a steel pole with a light curtain?

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 127
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
I don't waste my time trying to fix onto plasterboard. I always drill into the brick and plug with a wooden peg, square at one end, tapering to round at the other. Solid every time.

I would suggest a hollow wall anchor and use a brad point drill with light pressure to minimise breakout at the back of the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
I've never had a great deal of success with plasterboard fittings. The screw in the first photo tends to want to turn the actual rawlplug and the second needs a huge hole. What's the best type to use for a steel pole with a light curtain?

A couple of people have reported here that fittings like your first one - but metal - have been too tight with the supplied screws, and so tend to rotate. I would think that would be less of a problem with plastic ones. I've personally used that sort of fitting for curtain poles.

The other style is this one:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+&+Fixings/d90/Cavity+Fixings/sd1930/Hollow+Wall+Anchor/p36548
They are very solid. Ideally, buy the special setting tool.

Of course if you can find a stud to screw into behind the plasterboard you should use that. And similarly if there is good brick or block not far behind you can drill right through into it - though curtain rails often coincide with lintels, making that much more difficult.

I've not tried grippit; there was some discussion here when they came out.

Hold the plastic anchor and screw the self tapper in a couple of times to make a thread.

A couple of people have reported here that fittings like your first one - but metal - have been too tight with the supplied screws, and so tend to rotate. I would think that would be less of a problem with plastic ones. I've personally used that sort of fitting for curtain poles.

The other style is this one:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+&+Fixings/d90/Cavity+Fixings/sd1930/Hollow+Wall+Anchor/p36548
They are very solid. Ideally, buy the special setting tool.

Of course if you can find a stud to screw into behind the plasterboard you should use that. And similarly if there is good brick or block not far behind you can drill right through into it - though curtain rails often coincide with lintels, making that much more difficult.

I've not tried grippit; there was some discussion here when they came out.

thanks for suggestions

I went to b&q tonight to see the gripit but they sold out after having been reduced to clear. couple of tips I've received re the metal self drilling type is to make a hole first of all and to use wd40 to make sure the screw does not stick.

++++++++++++

Moderator's note
The Gripit spammers have been removed

++++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back