Safe to attach metal curtain brackets to RSJ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Or is it a Steel Lintel?)

Hi There.

I hope someone out there can help! I've been charged with "making the curtain pole stay up!". As you can see from the uploaded pic, I got a guy to try to glue a couple of pass-through brackets (using sticks-like-sh*t) but sadly it wasn't as strong as our dog!

From what I've researched out there it suggests I could (get someone to) fix it straight into the RSJ using "self-tapping" screws but is this really a safe thing to do? Will this not affect the integrity of the RSJ? (Will the structural calculations made allow for such eventualities?)

Assuming it is - the curtain-bracket hole (for the screw) is ~4mm. Are you able to get screws this small in diameter which will suit, and which would be the best to get? (Also, looking at the space I suspect they need to be pretty short too).

Any advice greatly received.

Many, many thanks, Steve. (A bit of a novice).

Attachments

• Steel over Bifolds.jpeg
    Steel over Bifolds.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 306
Sponsored Links
There is no problem drilling into the rsj.
4mm self tappers are readily available.

Self tapper work well in sheet steel, but thicker steel needs to be drilled and tapped. An M4 tapped hole will not be a problem.

.....and you're having sleepless nights over a couple of 4mm holes in your beam................?
cap holes in web.PNG

Sponsored Links
Self tapper work well in sheet steel, but thicker steel needs to be drilled and tapped. An M4 tapped hole will not be a problem.

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations? My (handyman/tiler!) is here on (this) Monday and has asked me to get relevant bits (Tungsten HSS, I presume?) and screws in advance. (I guess it's likely to be an Amazon job).

Am I right in thinking I need to get bits which are 0.5mm smaller than the screw?

Thanks so much, Steve.

There is no problem drilling into the rsj.
4mm self tappers are readily available.

Thank you so much for the fast (and comforting) reply. As per my last - and apologies to lean on you more - do you have any recommendations for both bits and screws (see post above)?

Steve.

(My last!) I've measured and the curtain-bracket holes are actually just under 5mm. (A 5mm metal drill bit will not pass through when turned). Is M4 the right choice? (Or is there something in-between?). Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back