drilling through metal lintel

Well that seems strange then. It's definitely metal - I've shone a torch into the hole and it has a shiny silvery metallic look.

And I bought a couple of new bits specially, so they should obviously have been sharp - at least when I started!

I'm beginning to think I'll have to try and put a wooden batten up instead. I guess I could attach that to the wall at each end and maybe glue it against the window frame or something.

Sponsored Links
It's definitely metal - I've shone a torch into the hole and it has a shiny silvery metallic look.

Could it be a pebble in the aggregate? Try drilling an inch or so either side and see if you have any joy. As said above, you should eat it with a mains powered drill and decent HSS bit.

I can see you're sceptical, but it definitely is metal. I've already tried 3 different positions with exactly the same result!

This is very weird. I've drilled through leaf-springs, tool steel, stainless and a host of other ferrous metals with HSS bits.
I can't see why anyone would make a lintel harder than a HSS bit (there's a possibility it would be more brittle which would defeat the object).
OK - last resort for the aggregate option... If you've got a masonry bit that's expendable try it on hammer and see if you get anywhere. Otherwise I think it's time to reach for the ""No more nails"

Sponsored Links
From what you've said, it does seem very weird. I asked a drill supplier yesterday for their recommendation and they suggested buying a 'cobalt' bit from them. Ever come across those?

If it's got a reasonable chance of working, I don't mind splashing out for it - but don't want to if they're just trying to sell me something for the sake of it.

You must be doing something wrong.
Maybe you're not getting enough pressure on because you're not in a good position.
Maybe you're not holding the drill straight, or steady.
I've used a cobalt bit, lovely job.
Also use a bit of oil on the bit, will help keep cool and stay sharper longer.

Find something metal to drill through on a workbench. You'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks for your thoughts - I do appreciate the comments - even if they don't seem to be taking me much further forward at the moment!

I'm certainly not an expert at drilling metal, but I have done it before occasionally. I have been able to press up with my foot on the window sill, so have had no trouble applying pressure, nor in holding the drill steady or straight. It has made sufficient impression that it doesn't 'wander', but that's about it.

Maybe I'll go for a cobalt bit then.

If you are not used to drilling steel start with a smaller bit (say 3mm) and work up.

Can be very difficult to get a 1/4" drill started in steel by hand.

Keep the drill speed low.

Cobalt bits aren't really intended for domestic use - they use them principally in machines on production lines because of their long life. The last time I looked it was about £15 for a 4mm one. You really don't want to risk snapping one in a hand drill at those prices.

OK, thanks for that - I'd never heard of them before!

As everyone seems incredulous that I can't get through with an ordinary HSS bit, I'll try once more in a couple of other positions. If that doesn't work, I think I'll go for the wooden batten option.

And you haven't got a tiny bit of swarf stuck on the very tip of the bit?

Maybe you hit one of the spot welds? That could possibly lead to local hardening.

I admire your fighting spirit Tortoise. Get in there and really give it some oomph. As a rule of thumb (ear?) if you can't hear a change in the note from the drill as a result of it slowing under load, you're not pressing hard enough. Good luck!

OK, well I gave it one more shot, and plenty of oomph! And still got nowhere! I guess we'll never know quite why it was such a problem.

So, I cut my losses and went for the wooden batten option - and now all is fine. I have a very fine blind and my wife off my back!

Thanks for all the suggestions

We have been slowly working through the suggestions here to drill through the metal above the front room window in our 1938 house but to no avail :cry:

We have a hss drill bit and a high powered drill, not more than a couple of ml into the metal. The wall now looks a bit like a sieve where we have tried to drill holes to miss the metal but where four inches to the side of the window is clear one side, it isnt the other - this dosnt bode well for a nice looking curtain pole.

Any other suggestions of what might work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back