Core drilled through end of Lintel & metal showing

Sponsored Links
Quick update... The builder is visiting Monday and asses the problems (I'm so grateful to you all as I have the knowledge to fight my corner now)... it appears he will get it all sorted and I'll ensure its experienced trades

Please can I ask your advice on this too....
I had bad case of mould the plaster in the kitchen, it was knocked off / tanked / plastered.

Outside it was suggested to have a vent so air could circulate between the cavities and stop mould.... (the vent is only on the outside of the building, not on the inside) ...see pictures.

Is this correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_173737652_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230711_173737652_HDR~2.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230712_114359873~2.jpg
    IMG_20230712_114359873~2.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230711_173658397_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230711_173658397_HDR~2.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 53
Please can I ask your advice on this too....
I had bad case of mould the plaster in the kitchen, it was knocked off / tanked / plastered.

Outside it was suggested to have a vent so air could circulate between the cavities and stop mould.... (the vent is only on the outside of the building, not on the inside) ...see pictures.

Is this correct ?
That air brick is pointless and useless. It has been pointed by a three year old.

Sponsored Links
That air brick is pointless and useless. It has been pointed by a three year old.
It would be helpful if you could tell him why.
That mortar looks like some kind of 2 part repair mortar - maybe that's why its a mess.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: NBT
Mould is caused by warm, moist air from inside the house condensing on the house side of cold external walls. Ventilation allows this air through the wall to outside - like opening your bathroom window when having a shower and all that damp steamy air escapes. That idiot has effectively "opened your bathroom window" and then bricked it up inside!

Add removing the inside brick and sleeving the cavity to your list of remedial works.

• Thanks
Reactions: NBT
You don't seem to appreciate the scale of what everyone is unanimously telling you. Everything is wrong with everything, it's just an utter disaster.

Just stop this utter cowboy from trashing your house and get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

Don't negotiate any further. Make an excuse or whatever, just get them away from your house asap.

I do appreciate what everyone is telling me, and I am really grateful for the guidance.

You may have overlooked it but I had paid in full as at the time it appeared all the building work was finished.... I had no idea of the scale of damage caused. It was only when the kitchen was being fitted and the problem with the lintel arose that I asked advice on.... after that with all your expertise things started to unravel.

If I could and money wasn't an issue I would get another building company in to rectify it all ( I will for the replacement bricks) but I'm left with no option but to ensure the trades the original company I used is now getting in to rectify the damage I vet FULLY before I let them do anything.

I thank everyone for their time and guidance it means so much to someone like me who needed help.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back