What is this metal object in lintel?

14 Dec 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install curtains (for the first time) and am having problems drilling into the wall.

I'm drilling about 9cm above and 4cm to the side of a recessed window. I'm hitting this round metal object about 3cm into the wall. I can't drill further properly because the drill bit slips away. What could this be? Also, what's the blue (I think metal) sheet behind? Is that the lintel?

I've successfully drilled 3 other holes around this window (1 right below as shown in the photos). As far as I can tell, there's about ~3cm of drywall, then a ~0.5cm hard material (lintel?) that I drilled through using a hss bit, then about ~3cm of hollow space, then some other material (lintel?). The window is about 25cm deep from the wall face. This is a recently built flat.

Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like you may be hitting the steel bolt for the building frame. Why not use a plasterboard fixing?

your other option would be to use a batten

I can't drill deep enough because that thing is 3cm in.
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The fitting in the link is 35mm they also do some in 32mm if you've managed to drill the tip of the lintel it will work. Otherwise its pink grip + batten or specialist fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local