Please advise; flood!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. I am a Hermit-Nun living alone atop a remote mountain miles from a town or vllage, and cannot get a plumber or handyman at any price. My kitchen was flooded; I tracked it to where the kitchen sink water exits. It has always been a "slow" to empty sink( plumbing was all brand new less than three years ago) and the flood seemed to start when I used the plunger to clear the sink. Does that make sense, please? I am sure it is not a big job, but my skills are every limited and the space where the water is coming from is very narrow indeed. It floods simply when I use the sink; learned that by trial and wet error:)(a) is this a job an amateur with very few tools can fix, and (b) am I right that it is JUST the kictchen sink water that uses that outlet, and not the washing machine? Awful thought! I imagine that there is simply ( !) a blockage in the pipe that somehow shifted along? So grateful for advice; thank and bless you.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be a hermit / nun living up in the mountains with access to a p.c. Aren`t these caves MODERN..... :D :D

Thak you. No; that is fine; the water is kind of backing up from inside the wall after it goes down the sink and down the pipes;gets past the u bend. Dry there. The short time lag before it all floods back...as if it gets part way then stops and comes back....I tried looking outside but the hordes of Midian are out; midges.... I am concerned that even if I stop using the sink, the washing machine uses the same outlet? I am disabled and would soon be in trouble without the machine. And assuming that eg the bath and toilet are fien and use a separate outlet.

Sponsored Links
it does sound like a blockage, have you tried any chemical removers (from any good shed) or the one (sorry cant remeber the name) that sends a blast of compressed gas (air?) down the pipe to shift anything in said pipe, i have seen it in a diy shed

Yes, right up to date... Well how else could we manage when plumbers won't turn out? Any serious advice is welcome....

Sounds good; but how do I access the bit it needs to get to, please? All very complicated. Looks to be inside the wall; that wall was dry- lined so there is a space there. And the gap between sink and wall is very, very narrow.
Do you think it is JUST the sink outlet; I can manage without empyting that if the washing m,chine outlet is OK....

This is obviously a massive wind up, if not then I apologise `sister` are you telling me that although you have the capabilities to speak to the world you can`t find someone to unblock yer sink?....Come on ... even if we knew we could hardly come out & have a look.....Call out charge....50 squillion dollars, & thats before I have a look at your DOO-DAH!...Have a word with yourself..... :D

Mr trainee; the sink is not blocked. No, not a wind up; simply a disabled person trying to solve a problem on what I thought was a helpful forum with some expertise and friendliness. The blocked sink was no problem, but every drop of water that goes down the unblocked sink spewing back out of the wall is a different matter. Maybe read the problem before posting? Thank you. As I said, serious advice is very welcome...

And try getting professional help on a Saturday evening in a very remote rural area.... British workmen are notoriously unhelpful and I am in Ireland where they are far worse. Not easy or even possible. I did manage it once on St Stephens' day when a rat chewed through a water pipe. But he has retired now and I cannot afford a call out fee any more. Worry not; I can wash in a bucket just fine! Thank you for your time.

Kevplumb; the trap is fine; please read the real problem; it gets past the trap fine; else the sink would not empty... and all is dry under the sink. Is at the wall..... by the side

Sorry, Sister, no disrespect intended, thought it was one of the chappies on here taking the michael..Please accept my apologies... I`m still not convinced...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back