Please advise on wall light switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In my living room, i have some wall lights and a ceiling light.

Iv just replaced all the wall lights and that went fine (all working)

Then it came to changing my wall dimmer switch to a nice new standard two switch light switch. For the life of me I cannot get it working, with the new switch I can only get the ceiling light working, but not the wall lights (that did work before I removed the old switch). I should have written down its configuration before I removed it but I didn't.

Could anyone advise as to the correct configuration to put these wires in the correct sockets?

Sponsored Links
One of the wires coming out of the wall will be permanently live.

Find this and put it in one of the common terminals, then put the link wire between this common and the other common.

Put one remaining wire in one L1.

Put remaining wire in other L1.

Put earth wire to metal faceplate earth terminal. Then provide an earth wire link from here to the back box earth terminal.

EDITED FOR MISTAKE.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice!! But now I'm even mo confused :)

Would someone mind updating the image, or re writing down what wire goes where :)

Cheers for your time, I really apresiate it!

EFLI's image is probably correct, as you cannot tell us which of the wires is live all the time. Don't forget to earth the metal faceplate on all metal switches you have fitted.

I would ASSUME the wall lights are a later addition...

Yes, Sparkwright is quite correct in saying we should never assume but as all the wires are live conductors there is no danger.

If I am wrong it will just result in the switches not working or working the wrong way round.

Cheers for the advice guys but I cannot get it to work. The ceiling light is fine, getting that to work is fine - it would seem the ceiling light is from the sleeved wire.

As for the wall lights (the remaining red wire) I cannot get them to work at all.

Off the top of my head though..

There are two earth in the yellow/green sleeve. I currently have them both wired to the switch cover and not the box.

Also the wall lights have independent on/off switches. But I have obviously tried all the switches in all combos. But I wonder if this might have something to do with my problem?!?

As for the wall lights (the remaining red wire) I cannot get them to work at all.
All I can suggest, if they worked before, is to check the switch terminals.
Make sure the actual copper is connected and you haven't screwed down on to the insulation.

Even if we have got the wiring wrong (I don't think so) when both switches are on then all the wires are connected together so it would make no difference.

Otherwise you will need a test meter, or someone with one, to check the wiring.
There are two earth in the yellow/green sleeve. I currently have them both wired to the switch cover and not the box.
That is good enough but best to connect another piece of green&yellow between the switch and back box.
Also the wall lights have independent on/off switches. But I have obviously tried all the switches in all combos. But I wonder if this might have something to do with my problem?!?
Well, anything is possible but as they were working before the switch change it doesn't seem likely - especially both of them.

You sure you got the link in between the two 'common's?

Earth wires shouldn't make any different - and earthing the faceplate is more important than the back box...

Still no go.

Iv also plugged all reds into the left L (for both wall and ceiling) and the black into left L1 (so everything works from a single switch) and still only the ceilings light works. So I'm totally lost.

Unless anyone's got any other ideas, I'll phone an electrician on Monday.

Cheers for your help though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back