Please help! - Advice to repair split plug cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Lakeland heated airer which is really useful for drying baby clothes. However, the white exterior cable then covers the wiring that goes to the plug has split.
The different internal colour wires look ok.
The plug says “Fitted with 3A fuse”.
Also there is writing on the heated airer that says “Voltage 230V~50Hz 300W”.
I did get some “Sugru Mouldable Glue” but it is only “electrically insulating up to 24v” according to the instructions so I don’t know if this is suitable or not?
Please can someone advise as to what I should use to repair it please?
I’ve included various photos to assist.
Many thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 35D4926D-9F49-4F15-9AE6-C64C778BA8EC.jpeg
    35D4926D-9F49-4F15-9AE6-C64C778BA8EC.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 1F9DC255-6EA6-4B8E-B181-40207EF6D982.jpeg
    1F9DC255-6EA6-4B8E-B181-40207EF6D982.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 321
  • F99701C5-431F-44A9-B7B1-37610FBAAE2D.jpeg
    F99701C5-431F-44A9-B7B1-37610FBAAE2D.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
You can probablly lever out the cable retention device with a screwdriver and remove it from the cable, then push a bit more cable into the unit and re-fit it on the undamaged cable.

Where would I buy replacement cable from please?

And do I need to get a piece if cable to cover the whole length or just where wires are visible?

Last edited:
you dont replace the cable, once you prise out the clamp carefully, you use the existing cable, you push the wire into the appliance enough for the clamp to be on the good section of white, then push the clamp back in.

23MP31-20.jpg

Sponsored Links
As plugwash says, lever the cable restrainer out using 2 broad bladed screwdrivers. There will be some slack inside the unit to allow you to do this.
Once it is out you will be able to prise it open and move it to a place further down the cable where the outer sheath is still intact. Clamp the restrainer closed again and then simply push it back into the hole to secure it.

Edit: Beaten to it. LOL

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very much appreciated. Sorry to be so dense!
How long would this repair take? A couple of minutes?

Getting those clamps out from a deep tube, as your's is, will be no easy task as they are designed to prevent pull out. They have 'barbed' edges and you might not get access to the upper barb. Your best option might be to cut the head of the clamp off and get a new one from a friendly repair shop. If you're willing to cut the actual cable, once done, pushing the cut ends through the clamp might make it easier to remove. Either way, allow a couple of hours of frustration since you've a learning curve to climb.

Can I get a replacement clamp online? Can’t find one anywhere.

What about using electrical tape as an alternative?

No amount of tape, glue or whatever, will overcome the fact that there is now no strain relief on the cable ie the conductors are now taking the strain.
Fleabay search using "strain relief bush" will bring you up a variety of sizes

If you want a cheap and very nasty (non-approved) temporary fix, and providing none of the conductors are actually exposed, then double tie-wrap the cable to the leg of the drier and cover the exposed insulated conductors with sugru.

Last edited:
I’m going to use electrical tape and wrap though round as I don’t want to brake the airer with a screwdriver. Fingers crossed!

A pair of pliars squeezing the clamp top/bottom will allow it to be levered out, the same for refitting.
The tool to fit them is like pliars but with perpendiular slots at the end to glip the gland.

I’m going to use electrical tape and wrap though round as I don’t want to brake the airer with a screwdriver. Fingers crossed!

FFS, why do you ask for advice here, get good advice, and then tell us you’re going to ignore it!

No. Don’t just wrap tape around it. That’s dangerous. You need to prise the cable grip out of the panel, slide the cable along a bit, and push it back in.

Wrapping tape around it does nothing useful, and it remains dangerous as the next time the cable gets yanked the live wire could end up touching the body of the airer and ZAP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back