Help with cable size - not using FCU -hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

There is a kitchen extractor fan with the wire exposed and unattached (photo attached)

There is no booklet.

By looking at the photo, would you help me by saying what cable size is that? I need to extend it by 9m to connect it to another socket( not FCU)

Is it safe to connect it to the 3A fuse plug? The kitchen is already finished and I don't want to change the connection unit to FCU if it's not necessary.

Also in regards to extending the cable, what would be the ideal solution in this case? I'm visiting screw fix

Apologies if it's been mentioned before but I need to purchase the same size cable

Thank you
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The fan will very likely have data/serial plate/label on the inner casing. This help indentify the make and model type, then you could google for fixing instruction.
The flex is commonly 0.75mm and requires 3a protection for the fan. There should be a load output on the label, this will help determine the correct fuse rating and required cable size.
I would personally have the connection plate behind the fan or a switched fcu at worktop height. Depending on fan design and practical placement of plates/isolation.

What's this connection unit you don't want to change to FCU you mention?

There may be an easier and/or neater way to connect this...

Send more pics.

Sponsored Links
What's this connection unit you don't want to change to FCU you mention?

There may be an easier and/or neater way to connect this...

Send more pics.
Yes more pictures of the area where the fan is to be installed and the fan unit would be helpful. It maybe possible to take a feed from above rather than have a 10m length of flex dangling about!

Thank you for prompt replies.

Ok. Ive asked the tenants to provide images.

Basically, the connection unit that is available is on other side of the kitchen( the cable will travel around the kitchen safely out of reach)which is exactly same as the one visible in the photo. I have asked them to see if there is any other outlet nearby which there should be.

There must be some outlet nearby as the cooker is electric but the issue is the work on kitchen is finished and the wire has to go upwards to not be visible, thats why I'm extending it all the way to the other side of the kitchen . I know, not a good job at all.

Last edited:
I know, not a good job at all.
Crazy if you ask me, absolutely no thought or planning has gone in to this.
The best method if kitchen is tiled and finished, is taking a feed from the ceiling/floor void above. Much neater than having cables wrapped around the kitchen.

You never know, someone may have fitted a socket on top of a nearby wall cabinet.

If you do extend that cable, be sure to use an in-line flex connector, available from most DIY shops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back